Kr1 wheels into kr1s forks

Wheels, shocks, forks, frame
Craigy88
lurker

Kr1 wheels into kr1s forks

Post by Craigy88 »

Hey guys this is my first post, I'm new to the forum, I've just recently bought a kr1 project. I'm slowly collecting parts ready for a restoration. I've just found out that mine has got kr1s front forks and calipers, but Kr1 wheels. Obviously someone had just shoved the Kr1 spindle through the front wheel to get it rolling around.
My question is, what are all the parts I need to be able to run the Kr1 wheel in these kr1s forks? Part numbers or sizes etc would be very useful. Thanks in advance.
Virgie
Heavy Smoker

Re: Kr1 wheels into kr1s forks

Post by Virgie »

To compare all the parts you are looking at go to the Cradley Kawasaki site and check out the parts diagrams for all the part numbers and what is different and what is the same.
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Craigy88 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am Hey guys this is my first post, I'm new to the forum, I've just recently bought a kr1 project. I'm slowly collecting parts ready for a restoration. I've just found out that mine has got kr1s front forks and calipers, but Kr1 wheels. Obviously someone had just shoved the Kr1 spindle through the front wheel to get it rolling around.
My question is, what are all the parts I need to be able to run the Kr1 wheel in these kr1s forks? Part numbers or sizes etc would be very useful. Thanks in advance.
I think you have to make some bushes because the KR-1 axle is a smaller diameter. I understand (but can't confirm) that there are no 'conversion bearings' available to enable the use of a KR-1S axle. One of my bikes does have KR-1S forks and brakes with the KR-1 front wheel, but I have never investigated further (off-the-road, one of many projects!). If/when I get the opportunity, I'll have a look to see what has been done.

Regards,
James
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

I've had a look at the arrangement used for fitting the KR-1 wheel into the KR-1S forks, as previously mentioned. It seems all that is required is the manufacture of two top-hat bushes, each with a split to allow the axle to be clamped:

Standard KR-1 axle with bushes in place:

Not a lot of thread is left for the axle nut, but this should not be of great importance because the KR-1S forks clamp the axle on both sides (KR-1 forks clamp the axle only on the right-hand side):

The right-hand side:

It appears that the standard KR-1 right-hand axle spacer and (left-hand) speedo drive gearbox are used - there was no obvious sign of modification to these parts. However, I didn't have any loose spare parts handy to compare directly.

Dimensions of the top-hat bushes are as follows:
LH - ID 15, OD 23 (shoulder OD 28), total length 37 (shoulder length 2)
RH - ID 20, OD 23 (shoulder OD 28), total length 38 (shoulder length 3)

Consideration might be given to varying the length dimensions slightly, but there isn't much in it. I would strongly suggest measuring your own existing fork sliders and axle before deciding on final dimensions.

Regards,
James