TORQUE WRENCH ACCESS TO CYLINDER BASE NUTS

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

TORQUE WRENCH ACCESS TO CYLINDER BASE NUTS

Post by NOSHER »

Hi Guys im just running through the assembly procedure in my head (still waiting for gaskets that will fit the kr1) after having the crank rebuilt and i noticed that although cylinder base nuts must be torqued down there is no direct access to do this with a socket on a torque wrench even with a wobbly bar(well you can on two sort of but the rear no chance.
So i made a tool by welding the ring end of a 13mm spanner to a piece of flat bar with a square hole filed through the bar to get the wrench head away from the cylinder jackets with the distance between the centre of the base stud and the centre of the 3/8" hole ' at 60 mm.

My question is with the leverage increased now by another 60mm what percentage will the normal torque figure be reduced by.is there a mathematical equasion for working this out?--GOOGLE DONT SEEM TO HAVE AN ANSWER.

PLEASE NO SMART ARSE ANSWERS LIKE"JUST USE A SPANNER MATE AND DO EM UP F---ING TIGHT

WE NEED A MATHS BOFFIN--PLEASE SHOW YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!
Col
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Re: TORQUE WRENCH ACCESS TO CYLINDER BASE NUTS

Post by NOSHER »

Errrr just had a brainwave--if the torque reading mechanism inside the wrench is 1 foot long then that`s how torque settings(Foot Pounds)are calculated so if you divide 60 into 304mm(1 foot) you get 19.7 percentage figure so am i right in thinking that if i reduce the torque reading by 20% then the applied torque will now be accurate??
If not how do you blokes tighten up your cylinder nuts??

OR AM I LOSING MY MIND??
COL

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just tighten them (after you have torqued the head down) by hand.
Not once have I ever torqued a cylinder. I only torque head gaskets and crank/rod/camshaft bearring bolts
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks for the reply Jan I thought that it would have been really important to make sure the base gaskets were sealing properly by torquing them as per manual.
Still like to know if my equation theory is right or not.
Regards
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
Paul250B
Heavy Smoker

Post by Paul250B »

NOSHER wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:36 pm Thanks for the reply Jan I thought that it would have been really important to make sure the base gaskets were sealing properly by torquing them as per manual.
Still like to know if my equation theory is right or not.
Regards
Col
If you have to adapt tools my suggestion would be...
Nut bolt and a pack of washers and do as your maths suggests, bolt head in the vice, some washers to pack out the thread and your tool on the nut, then check with a regular socket at say 55, hopefully it clicks off, then try 58, 62 66 until you get to a point where the nut torques up.
Repeat using regular socket and set at 60 then try the same settings to see if both achieve a similar Re-Torque setting.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks Paul I’ll give that a go and see if my noodle still works with maths.
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

NOSHER wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:36 pm Thanks for the reply Jan I thought that it would have been really important to make sure the base gaskets were sealing properly by torquing them as per manual.
why do you think the seals won't seal properly without the exact same torque ? it has no influence at all if they are at 15, 20, 30, ... Nm
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !