GEARBOX SPROCKET RETAINER PLATE NOT LINING UP AND SHAFT HAS GROOVE IS THIS FOR A CIRCLIP

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

GEARBOX SPROCKET RETAINER PLATE NOT LINING UP AND SHAFT HAS GROOVE IS THIS FOR A CIRCLIP

Post by NOSHER »

Hi fellas well after damaging the bearings of my rebuilt crank when assembling and replacing them once again then this week was the time to assemble everything.Took photos of removal and every part was bagged and written on to show its location then stored away in large plastic boxes ready for the crank to come back from P.J Enginnering.Assembly went smoothly without hiccups until i got to the gearbox output shaft.Opened the bag with the sprocket and retaining plate with the two retaining bolts. I slid the sprocket on the shaft then sat looking at the retaining plate trying to figure out how bolting that to the sprocket would keep the sprocket on the shaft.I checked the manual which was of no help and the diagrams showed just the parts which i had bagged.I then noted that the output shaft near the end had a machined groove which i assumed was for a retaining circlip but no image or mention in the manual of one.i then slid the toothed retaining plate on the shaft up to the sprocket but no matter how i rotated it from one tooth left to one tooth right the holes in the plate were not aligned with the threaded holes in the sprocket.
HOW IS THE SPROCKET HELD ON THE SHAFT WITHOUT A CIRCLIP AND IF NO CIRCLIP WHY IS THERE A GROOVE THERE AND HOW THE HELL IS IT THAT THE PLATE AND SPROCKET HOLES DON`T ALIGN???And of all the pics i took there was not one of the output shaft before i removed it--typical cockup.HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP PLEASE
COL.
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: GEARBOX SPROCKET RETAINER PLATE NOT LINING UP AND SHAFT HAS GROOVE IS THIS FOR A CIRCLIP

Post by SP_BOTT »

I've always thought the sprocket retainer was a bit weird and always seemed too loose for the power that could be transferred through it. The small plate doesn't fit 'on' the splines from memory. You fit the sprocket on the spline, slide the retainer on the shaft, into the machined groove, and then twist it approx 15 degs so it can;t slide off, and align it with the sprocket holes, and bolt them together, Then watch it wobble :)
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Re: GEARBOX SPROCKET RETAINER PLATE NOT LINING UP AND SHAFT HAS GROOVE IS THIS FOR A CIRCLIP

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks for the reply fella.yes bloody odd if you ask me but yes I see how it fits now thanks.

Thanks again for the reply .
Col.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
martin
Premix Junkie

Post by martin »

You are correct so-bott
That is exactly how it should be.
As you say, the retainer sits in the groove loose.
And bolts to the sprocket .

It does what it is supposed to do.

I have done dozens of them and they are all the same as you both have described.
current bikes
fully restored green/white kr1 b2
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Hi Martin thanks for the reply.
I have now fitted it as Bott said and it is retained,but what a ridiculous way of retaining a sprocket with it wobbling on the shaft when fitted .no wonder I couldn’t figure out how it was retained and of course no mention of fitting it in the manual but it’s on now so it’s fitting piston time next.
Col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30