Big Boo Boo

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Big Boo Boo

Post by sacko »

Was just cleaning up my casings and parts awaiting the return of my rebuit crank from stan stephens. In my wisdom I cleaned everything with Gunk degreaser and thought to myself I better clean this off so not to mix with the two stroke oil.

Anyway I had the great idea of putting parts in the dish washer to clean it off. I way very careful to make sure I didn't put anything Steel or with bearings on in. Anyway I never thought the plating on the barrels would react :oops: So I now have nice rustly bores. I have cleaned off the rust and everything seems smooth but it is still discolored :cry:

Anyway I am going to get the bores honed but do you think that will be sufficient or should I be getting them re-plated :roll:

Like I said big boo boo :!:
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

how many miles have the bores done before that? might be allright with discolouring. if the bores have done anywhere near 10,000 miles then they will prolly need replated anyway.
.. Image ..
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Dont really know how many miles the bores have done the bike hasa done 23k but wouldnt have thought they have lasted that long
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

The standard kwack plating appears to rust very quickly
It should be ok first time you run a set of rings over it it will clean up.

38000 miles and the plating at the exhaust has worn out - at 23K you still have a few to go :D :D
moltenmaniac

Post by moltenmaniac »

same thing happend to me, except it was the previous owner who left in his shed for 6 years with the top end in parts, bores were fairly rusty but i just cleaned out with a soft cloth and a lot of two stroke oil, put back together with new rings and the compression is good