New seat and other mods

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
scooble
Premix Junkie

New seat and other mods

Post by scooble »

just got my bike back today from the machine shop with a few new mods.
I have now added a highly modified RS125 seat.
The seat needed to be widened and lowerd.
I chopped off the front sections that fit below the tank and raised them by about 1.5 inches (or lowerd the back depending on which way you look at it). The radiator resevoir no longer fitted in the seat hump, so I aquired an HRC RS250 overflow bottle and had a bracket made up so that it fits just inside the fairing.
The Seat height is much lower now thanks to the seat and the re-engineered R6 shock (same length as standard). However, I am now using the modified (6mm shorter) tie bars.
I have also fitted a set of NOS prolite discs (modified) from an unknown bike.

As you can see, everything is still looking a bit grubby still and the seat is only primed, but you get the gist. Looking forward to doing another track day to see how it goes.

mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

looks good but take care those expansions look mighty low.
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Scooble like it's proportions, Shame you need to drop the back so much.
would have looked excellent with the seat pointing more skyward. Alan
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

I like the lines ! she looks nice and flowing , less square than factory
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

I like it, I think I would have raise the back of the seat unit a touch more, but did I say I like it =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

BTW Are you still looking for a custom seat? My mate is now doing bike seats and can do any mould, shape or cover you want.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

I did like the look of the bike with the really high rear end, it looked very agressive and purposeful, but it just wasn't practical.
For starters, my toes were just about touching the ground, my knees were not bent very much, so it was hard to get my knee down and finally, it really felt as though it was pushing the front too much.
Its also down to personal choice of riding style too. The bike I felt most comfortable with was my old TZR250. The seat was incredibly low, and by comparison, the bars felt high, as a result, it inspired so much feel and confidence, that I was able to corner much faster that other SS400 bikes.

A custom seat may be the way forward as I have put considerable effort in modifying this seat and it would be a shame to throw it down the road and start again with a new one, so therefore, I may be interested in a custom made seat. If anyone else is interested, then they have to bare in mind that it is also made to fit a VJ22 tank.

Here's a few pics of the bracket which is a modified bicycle bottle holder.

the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

That bottle looks good. Way better then just jamming it down the side of the fairing and rad (like what I do).

If you want a seat doing he'll do a one off no problem.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

scooble, you say its an rs 125 seat. im sure its an rs250 h***a as i had one on my 'powervalve based thing a few yrs back. a nice looking shape but needs more height. it does look good though. funbction over form is moreimportant though, if your quicker with it vlike that then stick with it. i personally prefer the opposite style to you, weight over the front with high seat height. my seat is 4-6' higher than stock and the bars are about 50mm lower altogether. this i beleive allows me to feel more though the front end as i havew confidance issues upfront although ironically thios setup pushes the front more. i s';pose that proves feeling is more important than anything else. i also brake deep into corners, always have done. a habit i need to crack i reckon.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

i am pretty sure it was for a 125 as my old seat was for a 250 and fitted round the tank with no mods. this one needed to be widened about an inch though. not sure what model it was from though as i havent seen any more like it.
this my third seat!
and probably not my last either. could design my own i guess but its a.skilled and messy job