KR1 down under

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
moltenmaniac

KR1 down under

Post by moltenmaniac »

hi im from nz and me and my flatmate bought a kr1 as a project bike (get it roadworthy and sell it to make some cash) its a 1989 model and we hav been very slow in fixing it, mainly because of sticky powervalves (have realised the only way to fix is take the head of it again, should have ckecked the first time :oops: ) after one or two rides on it though, i seem to be having doubts about selling it, ive always wanted a two stroke as i come from a motocross background, i know this maybe a biased place to ask but how does a kr1 stack up against other two strokes? also heres some pics of it :D

col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

to get the valves right you have to torque the heads to the cylinders first then fasten the cylinders to the cases.
performance wise the kr1 is a match for any other two stroke you'll find.
including the more modern rgv,nsr and rgv. all the modern stuff will have a bit more midrange pull but nothing thats really noticable when riding with them.
the kr can be a bit flighty at the front end but thats easilly overcome with a damper or better still a suspension overhaul front and back.
try new progressive springs,fork bushes and new oil up front and either replace the shock for a better one or get it serviced and you should be fine.
bike looks to be in fair cond. you might want to get some kr-1s pipes and silencers on it as they will give you about 3 to 5 extra bhp without needing to re jet.
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

stacks up well against any bike (below 130mph) in my humble opinion, if you can keep it in the powerband and not back off more than a tiny bit for the bends. the KR1S has been proven faster than the RGV which would be the nearest two stroke rival, leaving out gp spec TZR's. havent rode an Aprillia 250, but folk tell me they are no faster really slightly better handling is as much as would believe. I know nothing about NSR's. I had to stop using mine on the road cause the license was taken a second time for speeding.

the KR is easy to work at though and its big K and all you need for a KR1 is the KR1S expansions.

keep it and cane it.
.. Image ..
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

"keep it and cane it" :D

yup they dont like bimbling along :lol:
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
moltenmaniac

Post by moltenmaniac »

looks like its unanamous then :D and thanks for the powervalve tip col, i had been wondering if thatd make any difference
1998 CR125
1988 h***a Bros
1984 VT250
KR1 Electric (under construction)
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

nice bike that mr maniac

welcome to the forum 8)junk the kr1 pipes and get some kr1s spannies on. thats just like my first kr1 (wished i,d never sold it ) :(

what the parts availiblity like in new zealand and are there a lot of 2 strokes out there :)
slydesigns
Light Smoker

Post by slydesigns »

We are inundated with 2 strokes in NZ. NSR's, TZR's, RS250's, RGV's, but not so many KR1's anymore.

I'm trying to make mine alittle faster and also source pistons and rings etc. Not having ANY luck yet.
Team Drifters
Team Asylum
Slydesigns Race Signs