KR1 88 restoration project

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
scott.n
Light Smoker

KR1 88 restoration project

Post by scott.n »

Hi lads, i've finally got some pics for yall, more will come, didn't have much time..! what i got (from e-bay) is an 88 KR1 with an 89 model (not complete), as a spare. The guy said it started but hasn't ridden it for some time. surprisingly, it arrived looking pretty good (wasn't expecting too much) starts first kick, went for a spin and realised the clutch mounting bracket on the motor is broken so it keeps freeing itself, i need to change that part of the casing from the other.. at a glimps it looks like it's been apart recently, the gaskets all look new so hopefully a good clean, couple of part swaps, new paint and i'll finally have a neat KR1. I wanted a later model 1s, but they are getting hard to find.. also i didn't know they were quite different, guess the only thing that matters to me is the 1s has better brakes and tytre size.. oh well.. the spare looks pretty rude, i am posting some pics of that too. I just finished restoring a 91 RGV, one day hope to add a TZR and NSR to the collection.. 8) Image Image one speedo goes to 190, the other 230km/h Image the spare... Imagepretty rude hey..Image the spare is starting to oxidise and rust, so i'm going to strip it and waterblast/clean it up and store properly
scott.n
Light Smoker

Post by scott.n »

here is the RGV i just finished, next to a mates 89 model he just Image Image still need rubber inserts for the indicators, but looks good \:D/ and has a great, fresh note to it!! :D
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Looks like a good starting point with it being a runner and all. 8)
Did you get any fairings with it at all?
Never seen anyone put a spring between the KIPS wheels before. Makes me wonder what the reasoning for it was. :-k
Should keep you busy for a while anyway. \:D/
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
scott.n
Light Smoker

Post by scott.n »

ScottaKR wrote:Looks like a good starting point with it being a runner and all. 8)
Did you get any fairings with it at all?
Never seen anyone put a spring between the KIPS wheels before. Makes me wonder what the reasoning for it was. :-k
Should keep you busy for a while anyway. \:D/
yeah have one complete set of fairings, what do you mean by spring between the kips? also came with a manual!... \:D/ gonna need it!! and racing reeds, witch i might fit... but that would mean re-jetting.
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

scott.n wrote: what do you mean by spring between the kips?
on the last pic from your KR, there is a spring that connects the two KIPS-wheels. Originally there is not a spring connecting these wheels.

This is what the original setup looks like:

http://www.niederrheinhoefe.com/KR1/pullies8.jpg

Nice RGV you got :D

Charles
scott.n
Light Smoker

Post by scott.n »

Charles wrote:
scott.n wrote: what do you mean by spring between the kips?
on the last pic from your KR, there is a spring that connects the two KIPS-wheels. Originally there is not a spring connecting these wheels.

This is what the original setup looks like:

http://www.niederrheinhoefe.com/KR1/pullies8.jpg

Nice RGV you got :D

Charles
ah yes, i see what you mean, that pic is of the spare, motor turns over and was apparently going, but left to rust.. but still some good bits there. cheers, the RGV was saved just in time too! :D