I was on ebay and went and bought...

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
raw1981
Light Smoker

I was on ebay and went and bought...

Post by raw1981 »

...a project KR1. Its a project because it has a duff engine. I suspect I may be entering a world of pain!

It's a 1989 kawasaki kr1 (no S) with good plastics, good brakes and reasonable tyres. The engine crank seal has gone, it comes with a spare engine with a seized top end. Don't know what the gearbox and clutch are like but I'll know soon enough.

This will be my first project. I've always wanted one of these bikes, they look a riot to ride and seem fairly straightforward as projects go. But the motivation is to get it on the road as soon as possible but learn about what goes on inside along the way.

Anyone with any advice on the KR1 especially with regards top the engine would be very much appreciated.

oh and it's lime green in case you were wondering. :mrgreen: I'll try and get some photos when I collect it on friday. can't wait!

Rick
efour

Post by efour »

Hi Rick,

Sounds like the opposite of my ( potential ) KR1 project - also without the S.

This one I'm looking at has a rebuilt motor but is in bits with plastics all rubbed back requiring a undercoat up re-spray.

Good luck with your project.

Murray
raw1981
Light Smoker

Post by raw1981 »

I'd be a bit more confident about some paint work over the engine, but I hope to come out of this knowing a bit more about how an engine works.

It's a project, it's local and whatever it needs doing, it's getting done.

I've always wanted a banzai 2 stroke but I've always been a bit wary of engine trouble, this way at least I know it's been done.

Best of luck with yours mate if you go ahead with it.

Rick
Gordi
Heavy Smoker

Engine

Post by Gordi »

Hi, not been long since my engine went back together after a complete rebuild. Can let you know who did what to it if you're interested. Are you in UK?
Good luck!
raw1981
Light Smoker

Post by raw1981 »

Yes I'd be very interested to know who can do things. I'm in the UK, I'm in Scotland.

I spoke to my local Kawasaki dealer who can still supply some parts, but will they charge through the roof?
Gordi
Heavy Smoker

Dunno.....

Post by Gordi »

Can't advise about Kawasaki parts as I haven't bought any! My bike is the Yamasaki project in the project section of this forum. The crank was completely rebuilt by Armstrongs in Newcastle and the barrels were replated at Firefox Racing in Keighley. KIPs linkages were from Lee and pulleys from Charles who can both be found in the Chit-chat section. Cans are from Swarbrick Racing. Be warned-it don't come cheap!!! Good luck!!!
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

What sort of top end advice were you after?

I've rebuilt the top end on my KR-1S before and it was straight forward.

Have you taken the siezed one apart yet?

Ben
raw1981
Light Smoker

Post by raw1981 »

Haven't collected it yet. I pick it up 9am on saturday, then taking it to the lock up. The plan is to start taking pictures of the complete bike and draw up some cardboard for the bolts so I know where everything goes.

As for the two engines: one has a seized top end. I'll have to take it apart before I can give you any more details. The other engine has a failed crank seal.

I reckon taking the top end off the one with the failed bottom end might be the simplest solution, that would hoepfully have me out on the road sooner rather than later.

As I mentioned before this is my first project, could you give me step by step instructions taht you did to get it sorted? That would be really helpful.

Cheers

Rick
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi Rick,

Not long to go before you pick the Kr up, getting exited yet? :lol:

The engines are pretty straight forward, just take loads of pics as you go & as you have said, cardboard templates are a good idea. Before you take anything apart make a list of ALL the seals/bearings/rings/pins & gaskets you will need JUST to get the bike on the road. And buy them before you do anything! Don't try to get away with re-using gaskets/small end bearings/gudgeon pins & clips etc etc, false economy :twisted:

As its your first project the best way to attack the thing is to work logically & treat every part of the engine as a project in itself, I.E top end is one project, gearbox another, clutch another etc etc

Clean everything (be careful what you use though :wink: ) do not skimp on replacing anything that looks suspect, measure everything (clutch springs, plates, rings, pins blah blah) & if in doubt, post questions on here.

Have you thought about what tools are needed? And things like sealants/grease/lubes etc?

Anyway, good luck mate, post some pics for us & anything you need to know........you know where to ask
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

As Howie said, taking the engine apart is pretty straight forward, but one of the most important things to remember when taking the engine apart is to remove the barrells and head from the bottom end in one piece, then unbolt the head from the barrells, otherwise youll likely snap a power-valve or 4.
Other than that, it's pretty much a case of following the manual which you can download from here if the bike dosn't come with one.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
raw1981
Light Smoker

Post by raw1981 »

So it's arrived, complete with spare engine.

The fuel tank was already off, the battery was already out, the plastics are now all off, the airbox and carbs are out, the exhausts are off the clutch is disconnected and the radiator is disconnected.

There was no water in the radiator :shock: which might explain why the engine failed. However, there are some rather nasty looking hoses from the oil tank, which as it goes into the engine has a kink in it. Perhaps it wasn't getting enough oil.

There are still a couple of things connected to the engine, so it's not out just yet, but I've made a start stripping it down and I've got all tomorrow to work on it.

There are some very delicate rods at the cylinder head which I'm not sure about. I'm going to have a good read of the manual before going any further.

Other than that, it's all looking pretty good. The chassis looks brand new, as do the wheels and all the plastics. I think I've done well for £500.