Not quite a KR, but mainly Kawasaki

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Not quite a KR, but mainly Kawasaki

Post by smithyrc30 »

While I was out in the inventing shed this weekend working on this:

I ran into one of those thinking issues. The frame is an ex-Suzuka 8Hour unit and has had all the fairing mount lugs cut off (along with the side stand mount). Anyway while looking for material to correct this and thinking about how to do it, I kept falling over the pile of "must do something with this one day stuff"....

So I did.....

Not sure about the seat unit, it is off my old CBR600 race bike.

It is a CBR250RR (MC22) with my KR1 wheels and front end fitted. I had a KH250 engine under the bench and....

I love the sound of a KH triple, there is nothing quite like it. The Suzukis and h***a triples neve ever sounded like the KH's.... Aural Magic.....

Well I'm not sure about the string and storage box engine mount.... :shock:
However I'm sure a few bits of Ally fitted up and welded in it will be soon ok.

The supercharger in the picture is another "needs thinking about".
I would have to fit a rotary timing valve to make it work, not impossible but will be tricky with the space available.
I'm going to use KX100 barrels and an electric water pump with an RS250 (h***a) radiator. This will make it nearly 350cc.

I had a look through the various fleecing auction sites for pipes and found that standard KH pipes are worth a mint now..... The number of those I chucked away.....

Anyway I found these in Japan, just not sure which to go for....

These are by BEET :

but they look a bit bland, except for the silencers, however I really like the cast cans. Heavy, but they look cool....

These are by K2 and are a more modern take:

What do you think?

I want to go "Old School" with the paint:

Using the green I think rather than the blue, but definitely the old Kawasaki logo and stripe. Will have to see how it goes over the tank.

I was going to use the KR front end in this:

However I found a set of Mito forks and yokes that were slightly longer and fitted right into the rather small head stock. For the non Aussies here this is a Postie bike... or CT110 whichever you prefer.

It has a small addition, the supercharger...

It will be fitted out with a CBR150 barrel and head and fuel injection, I'm having the adaptors made now. The CBR barrel goes straight on to the C200 manual clutch engine (the one in the bike is the original auto clutch unit) and through a contact in Thailand I got the whole top end for AU$500, brand new. :D
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

=D> positive day in shed then :D
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

you need help my friend - bungee net on a ZXR750R (K1) ?

Last edited by KR-1R on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

Great idea! I built something similar a few years ago -

http://kawasakitriplesworldwide.com/php ... 17&t=11248

http://kawasakitriplesworldwide.com/php ... 17&t=15904

Both projects have been in the shop for re-configuring. Both bikes are getting water-cooled top-ends. The S1 will get kx 85 cyls for the 250 class then changed to kx100 cyls for the 350 class. I also have a turbo that I was going to use on the S1. I had figured out how to install rotary valves from an ital sistems sv21 kart engine, just never finished figuring the belt drive setup. The H1 gets the reversed polaris top-end, should be around 600cc for the 650 class. I also have an H2 engine that will go into a 2000 ZX7.

smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

KR-1R wrote: you need help my friend - bungee net on a ZXR750R ?
Well it is all very well going for a dash to the black spur with your mates, but from where I live that is bloody miles away and an hours trek up one of the most boring roads ever made....

Patroled by rozzers in un-markeds and cameras plus the idiots who have no idea that there is anyone else on the planet let alone the road....

So as the tank is alloy and the rear of the bike is free, I chuck the bag on the back and arrive at the twisties for two (or in the case of this weekend three) days of windy roads on a sports bike rather than some wooden pudding stirring lump. It is comfortable goes and handles well. The ZXR has 44,000kms on it. It was built to be used.....

It might weigh more than a current 600, and have the same power (with a slightly better mid range) but it has a seat that I can sit on all day. My CBR600RR was painful after 250kms. That was a PIA....

I did the twisties run just before Chrismas on the KR1. 6 days, 4000kms, 4 litres of oil and a rooted rear Dunlop. Magic....

I got some 'you are going to have a sore ar$e on that thing' comments, but I was not the one whinging at the end of each day. That was the blokes on the BMW K1200 and the Triumph 1050 barge. :D :D

I'm having the sub-frame for the RC45 made with bungy hooks built on it..... :oops: :oops:
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

falconman wrote:Great idea! I built something similar a few years ago

Both projects have been in the shop for re-configuring. Both bikes are getting water-cooled top-ends. The S1 will get kx 85 cyls for the 250 class then changed to kx100 cyls for the 350 class. I also have a turbo that I was going to use on the S1. I had figured out how to install rotary valves from an ital sistems sv21 kart engine, just never finished figuring the belt drive setup. The H1 gets the reversed polaris top-end, should be around 600cc for the 650 class. I also have an H2 engine that will go into a 2000 ZX7.
Good job there is an edit function, I would have looked more of an idiot than usual.....

Hey Falconman, that must mean there are at least two sane people on the planet!!!! :D :D

Are those KX100 cranks in the picture? I was looking at the rather insubstantial KH250 part and thought they might go into the cases. Would you have new centre pins made (like the KR1 parts) and bore the flywheels on the KX units?

The bad thing is the stroke is only 45.8mm which drops the capacity down to 297cc's. However you can get 54mm pistons into the KX100 barrel which hogs it back out to 315cc's.

The watercraft top end is inspired. How did you find one with the correct bore spacing?

I presume that it is on the H2 cases?

I read your trials and tribulations on the speed record attempts but the posts finished a couple of years back, have you taken a hiatus to get sorted out? Superb effort and commitment, especially to go for 2 bikes at the same time. The leathers look sharp!

Did you ever get the pipes sorted for the 250 S1? I am unsure where to go next with mine. BTW I am going to try and get a 400 clutch for mine, it has an extra plate over the 250cc unit and fits right in.

Mind you if I swapped out the crank for the KX idea, then I could use the KR primary gears and clutch, and with a bit of a faff fit the KR 6 speed box as well. It would mean modifying the cases to put the gear selector on the LHS, but the long KH shft was always a PIA anyway.

How did you figure the rotary valve on the centre jug? I though that I would gear or chain drive a cylindrical sleeve rotary valve in the place where the reeds used to go. I could then use the same drive to drive the supercharger. I can use the alternator drive off the ZXR (got a spare one or two of thaose in the shed) so all the oil stays where it should. The supercharger in an AMR500 (the one on the posty is and AMR300 because the posty is 165cc with the CBR top end) which give 500cc of air per revolution. It will need to be driven at about 1.5 times crank speed for a 300cc 2stroke engine to give about 0.9bar of boost. Max speed on the unit is 18,000 rpm. If I go that route I will use fuel injection, into the inlet just as the valve opens.

Not sure if the books I have cover pressure charged exhaust design.... Unfortunately my copy of Blair is in the UK.....

Might just have to bite the bullet and get another one. Cheaper than an air fare! :oops:

Doesn't the turbo get in the way of making expansion chambers that work? A triple is the ideal engine to turbocharge because it has the perfect time interval between exhaust pulses, but there is no reverse wave effect to prevent the inlet charge from going out the exhaust. The only pressure available is the turbine pressure drop, but this is proportional to flow and if it gets too high the cylinders will choke and the turbine will lose efficiency.

Personally from a usability point of view I prefer the supercharger route, especially for a bike because you get nearly instant response to opening and closing the throttle. I suppose this is not as important if drag racing or LSR type usage, but I want to use my stuff on the street and despite spending 6 years working on tubocharged car engines, I always liked the response of the supercharged engines better.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

falconman wrote: Image
Jim - that is mad :D
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Post by falconman »

I stopped running the S1 as I couldn't find anyone that could make pipes for it and I knew the stock top-end would not go 160mph so I started on the kx top-end and 6 speed gearbox. I was going to use center pins and bore the throws on the kx cranks and use longer rods. That way I could make an adapter plate to mount the cyls and use the stock main bearings and seals. For the trans I am making new shafts that are 25mm in dia so the kr gears will fit. Also will make a new shift drum (the kh and kr are the same dia) with the kr grooves/slots what ever they're called. :roll: The kr trans will drop into the kh cases with a bearing change but the output shaft is about 50mm to 60mm too short. Also the kr clutch is large in dia and will not fit under the kh cover. The rotary valves I had come up with was to make new center shafts with a pulley on each side. That way the Lft and Ctr cyl could connect on the front pulleys and the Ctr and Rht would connect on the rear pulleys then the drive belt could connect to the Rht front pulley. If not yet completely confused I'll keep going! :lol: :lol: I was also going to run the valves at half speed (using 2 holes in the valves) to keep the belts from flying everywhere. In lsr they use old turbos converted to blowers to pressurize the airbox a bit to supercharge them. Works very well on 2 strokes.

The polaris top-end is on the H1 (500) case. The pol cyl spacing is 112 and the H1 is 115. The cyls can be offset bored and the rod/crank can be machined to align everything up to within about .5mm. Should be ok. I hope! [-o<

For info on triples look here. They have the Jennings and Bell books, might have the Blair one somewhere on there.

http://kawtriple.com/mraxl/index.html

There are alot of people making pipes/kits for the smaller triples in Canada and the US as well as Japan.

They can be found on these forums.

http://kawasakitriplesworldwide.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://triplescanada.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kawasakikhregister.myfastforum.org/index.php
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

rotary disk valve problem

Post by KR-1R »

smithyRC30 wrote:...bungee hooks on the RC45
... have you considered what a trailer or sidecar might go like on the RVF? :P
falconman wrote:...just never finished figuring the belt drive setup...
...disk valves - where theres a will there is a way...

I've come to the right place... can someone give me advice on watercooling my printer/scanner - it's running hot this weekend 8)
falconman
Heavy Smoker

Re: rotary disk valve problem

Post by falconman »

KR-1R wrote: I've come to the right place... can someone give me advice on watercooling my printer/scanner - it's running hot this weekend 8)
Sure can! I got one on my pc. Best benefit is you don't feel like you are in a wind tunnel!!

http://www.xoxide.com/watcoolkit.html
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Re: rotary disk valve problem

Post by smithyrc30 »

KR-1R wrote:.
smithyRC30 wrote:...bungee hooks on the RC45
... have you considered what a trailer or sidecar might go like on the RVF? :P
Sidecars and me don't mix....

Race one with a mate for a few seasons and I seemed to spend more time out of it than in it.....
Trailers now there is an idea..... Where to put the hitch though?

SSA's are a pain to fix anything to............. #-o