smoke, bang and power loss

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
hacky
Smoker

smoke, bang and power loss

Post by hacky »

As the title says I was riding on the snowy, wet and salty road and when the engine was getting warm (after 10 minutes from ignition) in a matter of 2/3 minutes the power got less and less until it stops with a loud **BANG!** Tried to kick it back on which resulted in fire from exhaust, blue flame puffs and explosions. I had to keep the throttle mid-way to keep the engine "going". I forgot to look which exhaust gave fire, but once I saw it coming from the right side. I assume it comes only from the right side.

Last night I cleaned the bike, dried it a little bit. This morning it I kicked the bike again with bangs and puffs of fire as a result. Eventally shutting down the engine. Maybe it didn't dry enough? Could it be the ignition coil?

:(
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Well I think you may have to whip the cylinders off and give her a proper inspection before going any further. Its not that big a job. Rad off and drain all the water, remove the power valve motor and undo the eight nuts at the bottom of the cylinders. Then they'll just lift off with the head still attached.

Then check that the top end is in good nick before going any further.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

:D

Today I pushed the bike to a garage and underway I gave the bike a try down a little hill and to my surprise it startedd runnig better and better until when I arrived... no problem at all! All was good so I concluded that water was the problem end the electronics have dried/vibrated dry enough now. All is working perfectly fine now and I l learned: water and KR1's don't mix. I should put everything into a thick oil layer before going in the snow again.

The pistons are still good because the compression felt good according to him and only the clutch is a little worn, but still perfectly fine for some months or maybe a year.
there are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary logic and those who don't.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

Could have been a build up of unburnt fuel in one of the exhausts
if the damp started cutting out one cylinder, then trying to ignite when
you got a spark

bet it looked/sounded hilarious :lol:
Smokings Good For You
hacky
Smoker

Post by hacky »

I wanted to write that it sounded very cool, but I thought that would be stupid to write. It happened in the fields and all the birds flew up. It was cool actually :)