KR1S feather weight project.

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

Hi Datafunk, where did you take your bike for a roadworthy?

The guys in Geelong are mostly Nazis, the ones (surprisingly) at Peter Stevens are ok.

Once you have negotiated the idiots for a roadworthy, you still have to get Prick Roads to agree that it is ok and the thing you said it is....

They are real F'wits......

The one in Geelong is full of cretins and imbeciles, I'm sure it a job requirement to have an IQ less than 5.....

Good luck, you will need it. :roll:
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

the first time it was to mototech, but i assume they use the same place as peter stevens, so i took it to road and river this time, as they do the work AND roadworthy it, where as peter stevens and mototech outsource the road worthy part.
1974 Suzuki RL250, 1979 Yamaha XS250, 1991 KR1S, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

went to a garage sale in the bush 40 minutes from my home, talked to a guy who used to race his RD350 LC back in the day, ended up spending $50....

for that $50... i got;

$45.00 - 1x 1970's/early 80's Leather 1 piece racing suite from Mars Leathers in melbourne (for the wall, actually just a TINY bit too small for me, but i bought it for the wall)
(just looked on ebay... same leathers as mine except red stripes...$595 US.... tell him he's dreaming)

$0.00 1x mid/early 80's road helmet that i'll probably get fixed up

$5.00 1x Suzuki RGV250 ducktail fibreglass race fairings... in good enough condition for me to easily think about chucking it on the back of the kr1s. got a few cracks and that, easily fixed, will need to poke holes in the rear for some lights, and i expect to have to modify it in other ways to get a nice fit, but yeah, the price was right!

i assume someone has along the line tried to chuck an rgv rear end on, hows it go? if not, i'll certainly be having a crack.

any idea on some lights i should get? should i get someolder ones? rgv ones? kr1s original ones? was thinking maybe h***a cbr250r ones, the double circle ones... mm
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

[quote="Datafunk"]the first time it was to mototech, but i assume they use the same place as peter stevens, so i took it to road and river this time, as they do the work AND roadworthy it, where as peter stevens and mototech outsource the road worthy part.[/quote]

Moto Tech outsource, I took my KR there and 'they' failed it based on the handle bars being bent. (I have RGV USD forks in mine). Telling them that the bars were supplied like that made no difference so I gave them a set of RC45 bars to put on....

They did this and 'made' a bracket to hold the brake reservoir on. Seriously it was a piece of 1mm thick ally with 2 holes in that shook so much the brake fluid was in danger of turning to cheese.....

I won't be taking it to them again....

I took it to Peter Stevens who do their own roadworthy stuff in the workshop. I stood and watched them while they did it.

Not sure where Road and River are?
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

thought peter stevens outsource theres to gary ogle (same as mototech i assume) must have changed.

road and river are.... near the river end of pakington street. bit hit and miss imo..... but not exactly alot of options around here.
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

well... after a metric-flip of weeks, phonecalls, visits and money, the useless flip at road and river finally finishing road worthying my bike... and, the actual piece of paper wasn't ready, so need to go back on monday and pick that up, but i got the bike back! booked in on tuesday to go to VICROADS (road authority) to get a quick inspection, pick up some number plates and such. i'm taking a sickie on tuesday, so after that i'll heading out to a dead-end twisty road with low traffic and nothing blocking sight of the corners/road ahead. perfect for some practice.

quick question, where is the engine number for these bikes? i had a look but couldn't find it. cheers.

will get some pics soon.

still need to;
attach the oil pump and stuf
put on new speedo/tacho (learning how to ride this bike without a tacho is going to be annoying)
thats all i can remember at this point.

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Looking good for a road test now, You must be a tall guy as you make the bike look a 'tiddler' in the pics
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Engine number is right handside just above the clutch cover. It is difficult to read as it sits right under the frame.

What is the tail unit on the bike - looks zx6?
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

i think its one of twin 250 ninja's. ugly as hell. looking for a rear unit, but they're all over in the UK and no one will post me one. :( so when i get around to it (probably over winter) i'll muck around with this RGV rear end if i can't get a proper ducktail in the mean time.

and yeah i'm fairly tall, 6'4... and those leathers are a tiny bit to big for me... got them from ebay UK as well :P i love em. too good to use when riding hard though.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Hey Datafunk. Good to hear youve finnaly got it sorted.
If your tacho isn't working (as you mentioned in an earlier post), make sure you check the charge voltage. It should max out at around 15.5v or so (havn't got the manual in front of me atm), by around 5000rpm from memory. If it goes over that then you need to replace the rec/reg before you fry the CDI.
If you want a standard tail unit for it, I can see what I've got for you (should be able to find something in the shed for it :-$ ). Just let me know what bits you need.
PS. I'm in Vic too (Frankston) so posting any bits shouldn't be a problem, or you could come pick them up if you felt like a drive.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

well, good and bad news.

the good;
the bike is now road worthied and road legal. yay :)
the powerband is heaps of fun, useless at slow speeds, but yer :D madness.
side note: in comparison to my ninja, there's not alot to grip onto on these bikes, was really struggling to grip with my knees... the slippery as flip left peg (due to the oil) didn't help either.

the bad news;
whilst going for a ride out on that dead end twisty road, i discovered (after a few laps) that the bike was leaking. it appears to be oil, and its coming from the left exhaust and maybe the kips valves... on the way over to the mechanics the bike stalled at speed ~70kmh and one at a slower speed, i think due to flooding due to the dodgy fuel tap. (having to run the bike with the fuel tap in the "prime" position and not the "on" position.

cheers.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

The fuel tap problem is most likely just that it's missing the vacum hose between the tap and the left hand carbb. As for the leak you've pictured, it's likely to be gearbox oil. Take the black plastic cover off (youll find the stator inside there) and see if you can spot where it's leaking from. If there's oil everywhere, give it a degrease and take it for a short run, and then see where the fresh oil is coming from.
If the engine is flooding then youll want to check and set your float heights, and also check for wear on the float valve.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Datafunk
Light Smoker

Post by Datafunk »

yeah, took that off, no oil or anything on the inside. definitely seems to be the left exhaust and or kip valves thingys.

as for the fuel issue... yeah no idea, will leave it for the mechanic at this stage. quickly running out of summer!

bah!