1989 kr1 with kr1s bits and bobs

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just to give you an idea of what I have done to my engine (it's in my inserts-topic) :

cylindres : timing is a bit raised because of the lower piston's (28.50mm comp. height):
KIPS timing : 196.4°
main exh timing : 190.4°
transfer : 136.2°

head :
RPM max 10.750
squish 0.7mm
squish width : 7mm
volume : 10cc
comp. ratio : 13.5

Lozza gave me 9/10 (but not 18/20 , probably because I still haven't got programable ignition :mrgreen: ) for my figures, so maybe you could try to get yours in the same ballpark ?

now it was almost 3 years that I didn't ride my stroker (was going to say KR but that would only be partially true :mrgreen: ), so I can't really compare. Before, my engine was tuned by a dutchman. It was strong (all his engines on dyno made between 70-73 BHP) and I loved it, but I was fed up with having to ad octane booster all the time.

Anyway, it feels like before and 'm sure it is stronger than standard. It still has the same caracter as before : comes on strong at +/-7.5k (rev counter not working good) and gives another great boost at 10k. haven't played with the carbs yet, as everything feels spot on.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Blowdown is from ex open to transfer open. EVERY degree is a MASSIVE improvement. You only have that period to go from high cyl pressure to less than 5 psi to get the transfers working. The less time and area you have the less chance there is for the engine to work properly.
You will have to much advance after peak you have to drop it quickly, for instance a RS125 will run 3 deg after peak and will rev on for another 1200rpm
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Cheers guys,

I understand what the term blowdowm means but just didnt really grasp the term blowdown area. Is this the area of the exhaust port that is open just before the transfers open? i.e. the area of port available for the high cylinder pressure to escape into the exhaust through? By widening the kips ports i have gained more area but just not any more duration as yet.

Dan
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Yes the area of the exhaust port above the top of the transfer is the blowdown TA.
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Bit of progress

Going to mod the head this week to improve the squish angle.

Dan
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Head work beginning:

Dan
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

maccas wrote:Head work beginning:
and what are the plans :?: :D
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi Janbros,

Well there are a couple of things that want doing to the head, the squish angle is wrong and the volume is too small for starters but I noticed this the other day:

When the head has been worked in the past the edge of the squish band has been widened to 57.8mm where a stock head is ~ 56mm.

So first I am going to skim the head until the outer diameter of the squish is nearer 56mm. This won't remove alot of material from the head as the squish angle is only shallow. Skimming a tiny amount off the face of the head will reduce that diameter by quite a lot.

Next I will measure the dome radius of the vertex pistons that I am going to use and get the squish angle cut to suit them. I will them assemble the engine and fiddle around until I've got a 0.8mm squish then measure the fitted clearance volume of the head. Once I have that figure I will remove material from the combustion bowl until I have the required clearance volume (10cc).

Just drilled the lubrication holes in the vertex's this morning and balanced the pistons within 0.1g:

Been fiddling around with base gaskets to get the pistons to sit flush with the top of the cylinder. With the extra compression height of the vertex pistons its looking like I will need a 1.2mm thick base gasket.

Dan
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Settled on standard base gasket plus a 0.8mm gasket to get the piston to sit flush with the barrel at TDC:

Been playing with MJ's spreadsheet on cylinder head calculations and the squish velocity comes out at 33.14m/s for how the engine was set up before.

That sounds high to me so again may have been contributing to the low peak rpm.

Dan
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

Why do you think 33m/s is to high for msv? A parralel squish is not good for msv
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

It just seemed high really, would you say otherwise?

Dan
TwoStroke Institute
Oil Injector

30m/s is the minimum you need.
crochet & croquet
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Finally had the head skimmed by the uni workshop technicians so the next job is getting the squish cut to better suit the pistons. (took them 12 weeks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, they wouldn't let me borrow a fly cutter)

Bolted it all together the other day and measured the squish and it was 0.6mm at the cylinder wall and 1mm nearest the plug hole. Head volume still too tight at just under 9cc too :(

Dan
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Have you calculated the compression ratio with that head volume?
Having a similar occurance with my RG5,get the squish clearance where i want it then the compression is too high and the CC volume is on the small side at 8.5 to 9CC.
Really i would aim for a 10CC volume to the bottom of the plug hole when installed (not just measured on its own),but ive seen quite a few RG5's (sorry off topic :? ) that have put decent power curves running small CC volumes (8 to 8.5CC).
Maybe the squish angle,width and clearance is more important than the head volume?
Im aiming for no more than 8.1 compression ratio and plan to run super unleaded with octane boost when it has a road outing and straight AVgas on the odd trackday.
Sorry to go off topic but thought it may be of interest :D
ATB
Dave
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

Hi Dave,

Yep calculated the compression ratio and it comes in at a whopping 8.4:1 which is too tight really as we all know for a KR1/S.

Thanks to hipringle on here I now have a standard unmolestered KR head to start a fresh with :D thanks again mate!

I measured the flat plate volume of the stock head last night and it came in at 14.4cc. The modified head that I have is more like 12.5cc flat plate volume and about 8.7cc fitted clearance volume. So hopefully just bolting the new head on will get me close to ~10.5cc ish. I can then measure the squish and see how much it needs adjusting by. I'm going to leave the head as it is and adjust the squish using different base gasket thicknesses this way I can lower all the ports too as they are too high really, especially the transfers at 38.5mm from the top of the cylinder.

Comments welcome as always!

Dan