what crancase sealnt to go for

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Dave

On the sealant what happens is any excess after filling the gap comes into the head. I leave it there as it clears itself. It is soft and will do no damage as it breaks away/burns. Interestingly any liquid gasket in the gap remains I assume that with the area filled it becomes a location in which there is little flame activity. I have had heads apart after a few seasons and the gasket is still there.

Picture shows cases punched. I now use a chisel to raise a sharp edge like the barb on a hook. Sharp edge aligned so that it points to the piston. It seems to stop the gaskets blowing out. I also do it along the side on the thin bit by the transfers as I have had that show signs of pushing out.

Makes cleaning teh gasket off a bit of a pain but I would rather that than have a costly engine build
maccas
Oil Injector

Post by maccas »

I like that centre popping idea thats brill!

I have had this happen to me twice. And my kr is not kicking out alot of power. I think what helped it to happen in my case was that i had put a bit of threebond on both sides of the gasket which helped it slip. Both the above cases were pattern gaskets.

Since then i've been using genuine gaskets bone dry and its been ok. I might copy that idea as i have the top end off still at the mo! Thanks for sharing mj!

Dan
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

good tip that ,you know these numbers ? is it all the same kit ,mailed james to ask about that first thing i put up ,he uses Threebond 1194,i cant find any bar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390382585304? ... 1423.l2649
id`e like t find the same stuff but can`t at the moment