Tandem Twin Owners

The place to talk about your Tandem!
scottricho

tandem twins

Post by scottricho »

Hello everyone ! id like to thank the hard work of the lads in England for putting the kr tandem site together,(as i just got patriotically tearful as an Avro Lancaster flew over the Queen) ,(We're ready to hop the bags in front of a well entrenched foe again when you say so down under , your Majesty,no shit), that the sites have been so much help in putting together my bikes. I have also today realised that i have bikes with two different original black and red paint schemes ,although i have two spare green fairing kits now , and the old man says that the green is the best, i cant help but like the red and black sides windscreen paint scheme the most, so thats what my first bike will be. I have also decided to paint the expansion chambers heatproof red so that they look like a loveheart around the motor.
Everything else will be original colour (I can hear people muttering red pipes is no cool already)
Bikes: 2x RGV 250 vj21 (pepsi/black)
2x KR 250A (reds)
h***a TLM 200
Suzuki Tc 120 1969 (project)
Suzuki DR 350 1992
kr1b1 1988
some others for the missus n kids
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Everyone wants a standard green/white KR250 (the original '84 Japanese colours, not the later Aussie green/white/blue) and some of the rarer standard paintjobs have been resprayed, despite my best efforts to save them. #-o

I've got a red/black one and although it's very tatty, scuffed and rusty, it won't be getting painted. I applaud your efforts to be different and look forward to seeing a photo of it with red pipes. Bosozoku cool ! 8)
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
tysenius

Post by tysenius »

StrokerBoy wrote:Everyone wants a standard green/white KR250 (the original '84 Japanese colours, not the later Aussie green/white/blue) and some of the rarer standard paintjobs have been resprayed, despite my best efforts to save them. #-o

I've got a red/black one and although it's very tatty, scuffed and rusty, it won't be getting painted. I applaud your efforts to be different and look forward to seeing a photo of it with red pipes. Bosozoku cool ! 8)
=D>
scottricho

tandem twins

Post by scottricho »

Well the first bike is put together and running,however,she coughs and splutters after 7000 rpm.
It might be my replacement fuel lines are too skinny or the fact i moved the carby needles a clip up so she ran richer when running in.
The motor revved freely before i switched frames so it must be minor.
My question is, has anyone out there info on their needle height settings for spirited road use.
Mine were set a clip lower than centre and i noticed the front carby had its needle one clip lower than the other carby(is that commonly practiced or a previous owner oversight)
thanks fellow madmen
2x KR 250A (reds)
h***a TLM 200
Suzuki DR 350 1992
kr1b1 1988
tysenius

Re: tandem twins

Post by tysenius »

scottricho wrote:I just tested the 84 motor and after finally realising the bloody thing has no spark until the sidestand is up, BOOM she burst into life and settled into an idle,for the first time in years (judging by the level of mouse poop in the battery box!)
10 seconds later i give her a bit,BRING! BRING ! BRING ! woohoo!
sounds strong and crisp and plenty of go left in her!

Wife rips open sliding door"TURN THAT flip THING OFF ITS LATE AT NIGHT " yeah,yeah (one last BRING!),Cough,Cough(the homestead is a pea soup fog of two stroke smoke)
Tommorow i swap chains over then take 84 for a test round the block to check gears and clutch
It would appear i have found two good ones for a grand
lol love it! i get the same thing! "turn it off"
zx14
xr250
kr250
cbx250
gpz750r
pocket rocket :)
scottricho

tandem twins

Post by scottricho »

The past couple weeks i have learned to tune the engine significantly
firstly the fuel hoses have to be large,heat proof and well fitted,
secondly the float heights needed to be at 22mm
then synchronise the oil pump cable,
then synchronise the throttle cables (all in the manual)
the needles are set at 1 clip down from the middle,(slightly rich)
It seems the richer i make the setting ,the happier and crisper the response at the moment , so tomorrow I will be dropping the needles another clip to see if that makes it better or worse.
If the bike does not have seamless accellaration from 2000 to 10000
then Im going to give the carbies an ultrasonic bath to finally clean all the shit out once and for all.
Im also going to give the fuel tank a coupla shooters of nitro buggy fuel as that seemed to help clean out my rgv !
nitro powered kr250a 1984
2x KR 250A (reds)
h***a TLM 200
Suzuki DR 350 1992
kr1b1 1988
Richie Rich
Light Smoker

Post by Richie Rich »

G'day everyone, just a quick post to introduce myself and say hello. Just bought a '84 KR250, a recent arrival from Japan. Brought it from some pics so haven't yet seen it in the flesh, but it looks to be in good condition. Only 4,900kms and all original.

Here's a pic - apologies for the size (had issues trying to resize it down and then gave up).

Name's Richard, live in Melbourne, Australia. The KR will live a peaceful and happy life alongside a '89 TZR250 3MA, '83 RZ350K, '85 GSXR750F and a modern (Triumph Street Triple).

Look forward to learning more about these lovely little and unique bikes on this forum.

Cheers, Richard.
the KR kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the KR kid »

Nice one! Don't see many of the black/red ones, and looks complete too. :D
Stop annoying me, I'm running out of space to hide the bodies!

GS750B
KH250B5
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

:P :P :P

Welcome RR

That's a lovely bike !!
I've been wanting a KR250A for what seems like ages ..
One day I will get one I'm sure :D
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
Premix Junkie

Post by 375 »

Welcome,
First time i have seen a black and red one, nice :)
Ernest borgnine.

Best film, The Vikings
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

I've got a black/red one, doesn't look as nice as that though. :cry:

Nice to see you on here Richard, look forward to seeing how you get on with it. :D
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Richie Rich
Light Smoker

Post by Richie Rich »

Thanks for the welcome and comments fellas. I've being doing lots of reading on these little bikes, so unique. Makes me wonder why they aren't more popular. All the period road tests seem to pigeon-hole it as the civilised choice and say it was very well built.

It never ceases to amaze me how fast the pace of development was in the '80's, comparing this alongside my '83 RZ350 (RD YPVS) they're just chalk & cheese.

Anyway, here's another pic (of the other side)just for the hell of it - looking forward to seeing it in person...

ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Yeah, they're a great nimble little bike, and quite civilised to ride in eveyday traffic, yet will give leave you with a big grin on your face going through the twisties. I had an '84 RZ250R that I'd planned to put on the road, but after I got it going and test rode it, I put it up for sale as it didn't have half the poise of the little Kawa.
Yours looks like quite a tidy example there Richard, and I'm sure youll have a ball on it. :mrgreen:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
scottricho

kra1

Post by scottricho »

hello everyone i have put together the 84 and rode the Distinguished Gentlemans Ride in perth ,australia ,turning heads at its distinct noise and castrol r smell (or was it my suit and tie and medals for gallantry and fake big moustache and kaiser war helmet)
After 1000 kms of fun the engine is now burning a bit of gearbox oil out of the rear cylinder ,i guess a seal around the disks is to blame.
has anyone had this problem before and how did they solve it
2x KR 250A (reds)
h***a TLM 200
Suzuki DR 350 1992
kr1b1 1988
miuganlee

mmmm

Post by miuganlee »

Good..