Difficult starting, exciter coil resistance

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
trix

Difficult starting, exciter coil resistance

Post by trix »

Hi guys.I'm new on this site as I've recently purchased a KR1s (I have other 2 strokes). I've had some difficulty starting her so I decided to check out the ignition system. I noticed the insulation on the two wires from the pick-up coil was worn through so I repaired them. The manual says that the resistance between the black and red wires from the exciter coil should be 100-200 ohms whereas mine measured 400 ohms. Everything else in the ignition system checked out fine. I eventually got it started and it ran ok. I was just wondering if any of you guys know what resistance you get on yours and if there's any reason why it might be 400ohms? Could it have been modified at some stage (looks like the bike was raced at some time)?

Also, when removing the fuel tank I noticed that fuel continued to flow from the petcock whether it was at ON, RES or PRI. Surely without suction from the carb, fuel should only flow when when its at PRI? I've been wondering if it was difficult to start because it was flooded with fuel.

Thirdly, while I had the engine running, I noticed oil dripping from the engine. Turns out that the gearbox breather is missing so when I revved it hard oil was shooting out the hole where the breather should be. If I can get a breather, would it prevent this...or does this mean that my crank seals have failed??
daz680
Oil Injector

Re: Difficult starting, exciter coil resistance

Post by daz680 »

If it's forcing oil out of the breather I'd say the crankcases are being pressurised which would think points to the crank seals
Also sounds like you need to rebuild your fuel tap with a seal kit, fairly cheap on eBay.
Currently building RC30 lookalike