how can i tell what model my kr250 is?

The place to talk about your Tandem!
davidsimon10

how can i tell what model my kr250 is?

Post by davidsimon10 »

hi there just bought kr250 how can you tell if its a A or S ?

thanks david
Richie Rich
Light Smoker

Re: how can i tell what model my kr250 is?

Post by Richie Rich »

davidsimon10 wrote:hi there just bought kr250 how can you tell if its a A or S ?

thanks david
Hi David, the biggest difference is that the S model has Powervalves and the A does not. S also has fairing mounted mirrors whereas they're bar mounted on the A. Different colour scheme also.

Check out the fabulous KR250.org website for lots of info.
1983 RZ350K
1984 KR250A
1985 GSXR750F
1989 TZR250 3MA
2010 Street Triple 675
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Richie Rich wrote:S also has fairing mounted mirrors whereas they're bar mounted on the A. Different colour scheme also.
The original 1984 A has bar-mounted mirrors but later A2 models (with no powervalves) have fairing-mounted mirrors like the S.

Just to confuse further, one of the A2 paintjobs is identical to the red/black S, apart from the 'S' and KVSS stickers.

What makes an 'S' is the powervalve bits on the motor. On the photo below you'll see a fat pipe connecting the front and back cylinders, just under the fairing. The round thing below it is the servo motor. If yours has those, it's an S. :D

Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
pkay
Light Smoker

Post by pkay »

'A' models delivered to Australia did not have bar mounted mirrors as they did not comply with local design rules. Australian A model KR250s have fairing mounted mirrors. They will usually either be red and black (with a silver stripe between) and red Kawasaki with white tandem twin writing on the tank or green and white with black and red writing on the tank. Important as you may see stuff on eBay which may confuse.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi David,
Post some photos :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

pkay wrote:'A' models delivered to Australia did not have bar mounted mirrors as they did not comply with local design rules. Australian A model KR250s have fairing mounted mirrors.
The Australian market didn't homologate the cute little winkers either, they fitted little plastic covers and bolted on huge stalk indicators instead. And they insisted on a longer rear mudguard. I thought Australians were supposed to be laid back and easy going ? :lol:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
Richie Rich
Light Smoker

Post by Richie Rich »

Interesting and helpful information to know, thanks for clarifying. Weird that bar mounted mirrors were an issue in Aus with all naked bikes having them, but then again there were / are some strange regulations down this way...
1983 RZ350K
1984 KR250A
1985 GSXR750F
1989 TZR250 3MA
2010 Street Triple 675
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

Post by dougindoors »

Yes but that was 30years ago !!!
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
no projects, OOPS!1987 Kawasaki AR125B4
Every 2 in 1 poeple are schizophrenic
If you can not fix it with a hammer it must be electrical
2 Smokey and they bandit
pkay
Light Smoker

Post by pkay »

StrokerBoy wrote:
pkay wrote:'A' models delivered to Australia did not have bar mounted mirrors as they did not comply with local design rules. Australian A model KR250s have fairing mounted mirrors.
The Australian market didn't homologate the cute little winkers either, they fitted little plastic covers and bolted on huge stalk indicators instead. And they insisted on a longer rear mudguard. I thought Australians were supposed to be laid back and easy going ? :lol:

I've got one with the long rear guard and one with the short. The one with the long guard has the cute winkers the otherone has what looks like GPz750 winkers on the back but the cute ones on the front. Strangely enough both have Australia compliance plates.....
dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

Post by dougindoors »

Mine came from aus originally and had the long guard the cute winkers as you call them lol and fairing mounted mirrors and has its compliance plate so to my mind either it got modded or there were many variations I am not even sure if it was ever registered in the uk so have to sort out yet
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
no projects, OOPS!1987 Kawasaki AR125B4
Every 2 in 1 poeple are schizophrenic
If you can not fix it with a hammer it must be electrical
2 Smokey and they bandit