case porting

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

case porting

Post by mgtkr1 »

when flowing cases is it neccesery to use devcon(epoxy), thought id ask first to make sure, also any pics would be helpful cheers matt.
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Crankcases can be flowed without any special tools - beyond a simple Dremel and a bit of patience. The way I do it does require a metal filler - I use JB Weld (24 hour version).

Will post piccy tonight when I get back in the shed.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

cheers mj!
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Ok a piccy of how I flow the cases

Front oil pickup is filled then the oil hole is re-drilled - make sure it is clear and the correct size otherwise your mains will go west :D

Most of the work is on the reed side - smoothed and filled. Piccy not pretty but it works and is smoother than it looks

It can all be done with a Dremel - some JB weld make sure cases are free of grease and score the surface to give it something to bond to - and patience.
Last edited by mj43 on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

any chance of a head down shot n through the reed hole?....also why fill the oil feed hole n drill it back out again?...smaller/larger?different place......any help appreciated.... :lol:
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

No sooner said than done.

Oil pickup is filled so that the cases are smooth - have a look at a set of stock cases v these
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

cheers... :lol:
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

very helpful, is jb weld availible in most car accesory shops? been after some for another aswell. any more pics peeps, would like to see the various ways this job is carried out if poss? cheers mark, regards matt
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

I have bought it from Halfords - two types available quick and 24hr. The 24hr stuff has a higher temp rating so I use that but it does take 24hours so be patient. It is also a bugger to get the bubbles out of - devcon is probably better but I can't get it as easily.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

snap!
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

cases nearly done now, just finishing off to, blending both surfaces together etc. managed to get some jb weld, only just though as the pack i got would be one of the last availible as it will be replaced by something else, bloke at counter reckons so any way? very messy stuff also time consuming like you said but pleased with result, just got to see how it holds together, though by the look of it there wont be any problems in strength! thank's for advice/info btw, how did mallory go? cheers matt :lol: p.s what size drill bit did you use for the oilway to the main's:?: