Engine gone bang, Help!!

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
jonny1deck

Engine gone bang, Help!!

Post by jonny1deck »

Hi There,
Just bought a KR1s, then I went to Brands last Monday. It went quite well showing up a lot of very posh bikes. But going down the start and finish straight it went bang!! :cry: I took it apart and it was one of the the big end bearings!! barrels seam ok, so I've got a second hand bottom end and just ordered a piston kit. But I need the following:-2 x small end bearings, the bit that goes through the piston and the clips that hold it in, anybody know where I can get them????

Cheers,

Jon
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

think kmx small ends r the same...its on the forum somewhere...i may have two gudgeon pins(that go through the pistons) but im sure someone will know a compatible part....
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

They are still avalable Try Z power. Also while your at it replace the other piston. Best to always do them in pairs.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Jon

I would recommend a complete stripdown and proper rebuild otherwise it will keep going bang. What oil are you using? engines are generally bullet proof if built and run properly.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

as mark said, total rebuild is in order to prevent more misery, wile ur a it have barrels checked for flatness and also the lengths are the same! as its apart may as well have everything replaced thats likely to have wear ie crank rebuild (sep are v.good, also s.stevens, g.file etc) top end, pistons/rings/l.endsplating the lot, at least you have peace of mind and providing correctly set up will feel much sharper. btw, i always replace the gbox shaft bearing as this also requires splitting cases, hope this helps, cheers matt
jonny1deck

Post by jonny1deck »

I will get the old bottom end done, I have some spare barrels which I will need to get plated. but to get me back on the road, I will try the following:- Clean out and check secondhand bottom end as crank seam good "Whats the best to clean it with?", new gearbox oil, the old barrels/head seam ok, new pistons,rings, small end bearings, new gudgeon pins, gaskets etc. Put it back together and pray!!
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

Bring it up to me and for the cost of a few beers (you supply the gaskets) I will strip and rebuild it. Takes about 3 - 4 hours.

Location Stockton just Sarf of Rugby :D
jonny1deck

Post by jonny1deck »

Cheers for the very helpfull offer, I would be buying the beers now if you were a bit closer!! So it looks like I will be giving it a go myself. Any ideas what to use to clean out the bottom end out???