Crankshaft Pinion Question

The place to talk about your Tandem!
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Crankshaft Pinion Question

Post by pepsi »

According the manual the front crank pinion damper was found to be just a little off . There is supposed to be a inside punch mark that lines up with an outside hole, but it was not. So I took it apart and lined it up. The photo shows it lined up. Here lies the problem , now when installing the pinion on the crankshaft the marks are a little off, and the splines are not fine enough to adjust it better. Should I assemble the pinion to the crankshaft as close as possible or take the pinion apart and move the damper a little in order to make the pinion to crankshaft alignment marks line up better?

pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Re: Crankshaft Pinion Question

Post by pepsi »

Upon further investigating I lined up the punch mark to the wrong hole. It is supposed to be the hole that is lined up with the alignment mark, I will take it apart and see what happens.
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

I disassembled the front pinion and corrected my mistake and it is good :mrgreen: Both pinions are right on the money and both punch marks are shown through the correct holes. One photo shows the misalignment that was caused by aligning the punch mark wrong, and the other when it is correct.

pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

Just realized the PO had the pinions switched around! :shock:
Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit »

Give the shim and circlip fiasco I'm not surprised that the previous owner has switched the crank pinions. All the more reason to strip the engine completely! Who knows what else he may have botched?
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

Under more investigating , I found one photo in the manual to be wrong :shock: :shock: :shock: . See the attached photos of the manual, two pictures side by side contradict each other.So the pinions were installed correctly in the first place. I talked to the previous owner and he said that he was never in the clutch area, so it wasn't him.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I do not see a difference, in both pictures A is the one with the sprocket "at the back" ?

but then again, I've never seen a KR250 in reallife, let alone an open ngine.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

JanBros wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm I do not see a difference, in both pictures A is the one with the sprocket "at the back" ?

but then again, I've never seen a KR250 in reallife, let alone an open ngine.
The "C" ends go towards the engine, do you see now ?
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

dougindoors
Heavy Smoker

Post by dougindoors »

I found the same with the manual, gave me a head ache when I came to reassemble, just be sure to check the preload and spacing on the dampers, it does make a difference if you get it wrong.
1984 Kawasaki KR250A
no projects, OOPS!1987 Kawasaki AR125B4
Every 2 in 1 poeple are schizophrenic
If you can not fix it with a hammer it must be electrical
2 Smokey and they bandit
pepsi
Heavy Smoker

Post by pepsi »

dougindoors wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:21 pm ,,,,,, just be sure to check the preload and spacing on the dampers, it does make a difference if you get it wrong.

Do you mean the washer/spring stack in the pinion assemblies? I am not taking the clutch gear apart if I don't have to, and I wouldn't be able to put it back together anyways :shock: