bypassed one exciter coil

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
splant
Heavy Smoker

bypassed one exciter coil

Post by splant »

i had no reading on black to red wires so ive bypassed one of them now getting 73 ohms and seems to run ok , might have lost a couple of hundred rpm but might be my imagination , i think jan did this but cant find the post now, do you think it will harm anything ? or just not be as good a spark??
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: bypassed one exciter coil

Post by JanBros »

sorry, forgot about your pm.

will try and look it up tomorow.

originaly there are 3 wires paralel arround the 2 "coils". they are very thin, so I then decided to try with 2 slightly bigger ones which would result in having the same resistance as the 3 original (the wire supplier calculated this).
it is impossible to get as much wire on it as original, and I remember I had less resistance over the 2 coils, but it worked fine. it is a pain in the ass thow it takes quite some time and you need to do it slowly. if you go to fast, the wires might brake and you become less accurate, and the less accurate you wound them arround the coils, the less wire you'll be able to get on.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
splant
Heavy Smoker

Post by splant »

Seems to be wokingfine with. Just the 2 coils small one for the white gving5 ohms and justt the 1 or the black 73 ohms without trying rewind the other,I,ll get a spare though
splant
Heavy Smoker

Post by splant »

it must be producing half the voltage yet still works fine? do you think it will harm the cdi ?
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

found my drawing, that's the good news.

the bad news is I have trouble finding out what I draw, it's been a long time :oops:

I think the 2 coils are wounded in series but in opposite directions.
splant
Heavy Smoker

Post by splant »

Would that produce ac and running just the One dc seems strange It runs so well ,did you run yours for a long time with your rewound one on,
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

yes it did. don't know where it is know :oops: , might be on my attick or on a bike I sold.

each seperate stator coil always produces AC, so having one or 2 doesn't matter (for AC that is).
splant
Heavy Smoker

Post by splant »

Got another stator on but wont start, got spark ,,ohms are 170 sometimes then down to 125 black to red , is it possible to have a spark but not start,, I,ll put my bypassed back on to see if it starts to be sure bloody ebay,
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

splant wrote: is it possible to have a spark but not start
yes, conditions inside the engine are a lot harder for the plug to spark.
splant
Heavy Smoker

Post by splant »

Must be duff old one back on started 1st kick,I just feel like its missing a bit of a kick from 10500 to 11000 I'm sure a biit extra ppower band used to kick in then maybe sparks not strong enough at high revs with the one winding,