Regulator failure early warning system...!

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
James P
Oil Injector

Regulator failure early warning system...!

Post by James P »

Since regulator failure can do damage to quite a few components, I've fitted a small LED voltmeter to monitor the voltage on the battery terminals while the bike is running. This should give plenty of advance warning of regulator failure, to minimise the chance of sensitive electronic components getting damaged.
My bike doesn't actually have a battery - it has a 30,000uF 40V capacitor bank instead. Therefore, the voltmeter only works while the engine is running (and for about 5 seconds after the engine stops, as the capacitors discharge).

This is the voltmeter unit, with a mounting bracket I made from 2mm aluminium plate. The bracket attaches to the left-hand M6 screw which secures the instrument panel to the fairing stay. I added the PVC sleeve and plastic connector to the voltmeter unit.

This is the voltmeter in position (below the speedo) with the engine running. The digits do not appear very well defined in the photo, but this is due to the flash highlighting all of the LED segments. There is plenty of contrast between the lit and unlit segments in practice.

I am a little paranoid about regulator failure, so I have a new Electrex RR26 unit, connected to an extension lead, mounted in the place usually occupied by the battery. If that unit should fail, I have the original regulator (which still works) mounted in the usual place above the HT coil, which can be brought into use by unplugging the extension lead and plugging the wiring loom connector back into the original regulator (takes only a minute after lifting the front of the fuel tank).

For anyone interested, here is the Ebay listing for the voltmeter I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LearCNC-Volt ... 2edf332b33

There are other sellers offering practically identical items, as well as still others offering similar units (although many of the alternatives are much larger and have open backs - obviously not waterproof and not as easy to integrate into the KR-1/1S instrument panel).

Regards,
James
podman
Heavy Smoker

Re: Regulator failure early warning system...!

Post by podman »

Nice work there mate...
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

That looks very neat indeed, as if factory. Great stuff !
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

After a request for details of the bracket I made, this may be of use:

The scale of the drawing is twice full size, but be aware that printers may enlarge or reduce the image slightly unless particular attention is paid to page set-up. By printing the drawing at half size, a template can be produced for easier manufacture. Regardless, the dimensions given on the drawing should be enough for anyone to make their own bracket from scratch without a template.

Regards,
James
Top-shaggy
Premix Junkie

Post by Top-shaggy »

Thanks James, that's very helpful ;)
If it takes more than 2strokes then your just playing at it..
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

Im only guessing your petrol cap has been replaced with an altimeter? 8)

and in Hoonda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki colours
Professor
Heavy Smoker

Post by Professor »

I've used one of these warning LED's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Universal ... SwVFlT-cap
Hardcore you know the score
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

When my battery boiled dry it indicated to me that the rectifier was wrecked :)
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Professor wrote:I've used one of these warning LED's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Universal ... SwVFlT-cap
That looks like a worthwhile alternative, especially if you haven't got space for a proper voltmeter or don't want much extra clutter. However, I think I prefer something which gives a numerical indication, whether analogue or digital.
Nevertheless, in favour of the warning lamp; It is (according to the Ebay advert) "fun to use" :lol: .

Regards,
James