CDI Loom connectors

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

CDI Loom connectors

Post by mellorp »

I received a replacement zeeltrontic CDI complete with plugs, but when i checked my loom it has completely different style plugs on the CDI

The zeel has 1 x 3 pin plug and 2 square plugs 1 x 6 pn 1 x 4 pin. I have search for pis of the loom and this seems to be correct; But my CDI has 1 x 3 pin round plug and 3 x oblong plugs 1 x 2 pin and 2 x 4 pin. The oblong plugs have each wire numbered on the loom side.

The bike is a UK model J reg KR1s C3, Nippon Denso CDI box (I haven't removed it yet to get the serial numbers)

Any suggestions on why my loom/CDI is different ?

My immediate reaction is buy a 2nd hand loom, as there are lots advertised on ebay, but I would rather know what I have on my bike

Cheers

Phil M
maccas
Oil Injector

Re: CDI Loom connectors

Post by maccas »

That does sound odd Phil. All the KR cdi's i've seen have the three plugs you mention, not 4 plugs in total.

Something a miss there!

Dan
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Phil
Sounds like someone has previously had a problem and replaced the connectors with whatever he had available.
Just replace the connectors back to standard.
Cheers
Bernie :)
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

500bernie wrote:Hi Phil
Sounds like someone has previously had a problem and replaced the connectors with whatever he had available.
Just replace the connectors back to standard.
Cheers
Thanx

Any suggestions on a supplier for the 2 that I need ?
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Phil
Do the connectors look to be the same type/size as the ones on the Zeeltronic?
If so, you will only need the connector bodies (the contacts are removable), Let me know I should have a couple on a spare loom.
Cheers
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

500bernie wrote:Hi Phil
Do the connectors look to be the same type/size as the ones on the Zeeltronic?
If so, you will only need the connector bodies (the contacts are removable), Let me know I should have a couple on a spare loom.
Cheers
Sadly the pins look different. I need both male and female elements so i can make the existing cdi a std fit and also make the loom a std fit.
If you are willing to sell you existing loom i will only snip the 4 pin and 6 pin connectors and solder them into my existing loom and fix the old CDI at a later date

Cheers again
Phil
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Speak to Borut
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Luders wrote:Speak to Borut
Bought a set. Cheers everyone. Oooh now what order do the friggin wires go !!!! :-)
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Can anyone lend me a std KR1s CDI I can use as a template to make sure I get the new connectors and wires in the correct order. I'm in South Manchester so anyone local I can collect from or anyone further afield I will pay postage

Thanx in advance

Phil M
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Phil
I think I have a spare in the loft, I will have a look today for you. If not I could take a few close up photos if that would help?
Cheers
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Dug my spare out Phil, are these pics any use?

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

Thanx Doug. I have found an auto electrician willing to help and I now have a set of spare plugs from Borut. Hopefully we can get the CDI wired up correctly and the zeeltronic plugged in as well.

BTW are you going to Cadwell classicbike trackdays, I'm riding on Saturday 9th July and the TZR "Coolest Track day ever" track day at Donington Park June 16th ?
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Hi Phil,

Yep, I've got myself signed up for Cadwell for both days, be good to see you there as well. I'd love to go to the Donny meet but had plans already that weekend, shame as all those 2 strokes playing around would be great to see!

Hope you get the Zeel working ok, if you have any trouble at all let me know, can always use mine to check wiring & setup stuff (Zeelprog is great but can be a bit finicky, especially the PV setup).

Doug.
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Hi Doug
Where did you end up setting your valves at?
Cheers
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Hi Bernie this is the setup I'm using at the moment if it's any help. I found the test open and test close options wouldn't always work, took a few goes & clicks before the motor would respond but once I got these figures it was fine.