Avoid ai ignition coils

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Brock@BDK

Avoid ai ignition coils

Post by Brock@BDK »

Just a note to say that we had a customer's bike in with a fresh coil with the manufacturer's symbol ai painted on the side and this was failing and causing the bike running issues not ticking over correctly and not revving past 9krpm.

Normally we would consider this an isolated incident but we bought a fair number of ai coils for our TR750 project some time ago and we had 4 out of 6 fail within two track outings which was very embarrassing for us to say the least and certainly inconvenient.

I would not recommend these coils - in fact I would encourage you to keep away from them.
Ask if they are of this make before they send them out as pattern items such as these are usually imported in bulk by distributors and then sent out to dealers and we don't generally get a choice.

Just because these items are sold by a shop or company does not necessarily reflect on the overall quality of their products or service.

If you have good experience with some coils and can identify the make or serial numbers we would be glad to hear from you.

All the best,

Brock
BDK Race Engineering Ltd
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Re: Avoid ai ignition coils

Post by SP_BOTT »

Thanks for the info, I have just fitted a Dyna coil to mine, no where near starting the bike, but did have to chop the outer mount off (there are two on this type)

Like the coloured ones although the mini coils fit straight on I think?
http://www.dynatekuk.com/accessories_dyna_coils.html
podman
Heavy Smoker

Post by podman »

Noted..thanks for taking the time to post that info.
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp »

I put zeeltronic on my NSR. Super reliable. supplied by The Tuning Works. Here is a link to how I did it (you need RGV250 forum access)

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/forums/index.ph ... /?p=475320