'Odd' barrels ?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
666damned
Oil Injector

'Odd' barrels ?

Post by 666damned »

Evening guys 'n' girls...

as you know i am turning a ratty kr1 into a show bike (hopefully.. 8) ),and have completely stripped the bike to its components,it was sorting the garage and moving parts around that i noticed a difference on the inlet ports of the 2 barrels....when side by side,is this usual or do i have 2 barrels in different states of 'tune'?.....attached a couple of pics,let me know what you think guys...

:) :) .........Dave....
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

The RHS barrel in the photo has been tuned. The lugs on the inlet side are shaped to direct the flow of gasses into the transfer ports.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

Thanx 'elf'.....would this cause any major issues??......i'm not looking at this bike to storm the 'b' roads,just look as good as possible but still be able to get from 'a' to 'b' at a reasonable rate :lol: :lol: :lol: and generally show off.... :) :)

Dave
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

It shouldn't be a problem, but you really want to have a matched set of barrels if at all possiable.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

This seems to be quite common with KRs we often get people popping up on here with either 1 S barel on a 1 or even 1 lined and 1 plated, probably got something to do with the fact you can pick a KR up really cheap, then when you find you have to fix it you don't want to spend more than the bike is worth!
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

Stan Stephens once told me that mismatched barrels were not a problem on a two stroke. You can usually tell if they are different by listening carefully to the exhaust note at idle, the tuned barrel will give a more crisp exhaust note. That's how i discovered it on my old RD400.
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

thanx guys for the info.......mmmmmm decisions decisions..i'll have to wait for the redundancy money..... :lol: :lol:
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

could always see if someone else has a similar set and ask to swap? :roll:
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

if the work is only mild ie flowing lugs/knifegdeing ect then you could do it yourself with a b of patience, wd40 and dremel with quality dremel bits. easy job really, does'nt require a degree in maths/science/physics like more serious tuning just a steady hand, im sure you could pull it off dave, been airbrush artist should have no problems.
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

thanx for the vote of confidence there Matt... :o ....dont know if i feel brave enough though :lol: :lol: ....although i have fettled in the past with the odd rat tail files.... :wink: ..on my little ol' X7's...
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

im away between 10th-15th june but you can bring em over if you want, dont mind matching em up for ya, although there's probably very little diffrence on the road its still nice to know there nice n even. if you decide to ave a bash i reccomend wd40 or similar as it gives a nicer cut, also hold rotary tool so that if it bites resulting in a nasty scrawk it goe's away from the plating. there are some proper porting/jewlery tools on the net that rotate in both directions but a bit overkill on external/easy accsesable areas. think you will manage fine, jkust dont get carried away! :roll: