KR-1 charging issue

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
Tim61

KR-1 charging issue

Post by Tim61 »

OK, tested the stator, over 30 VAC output on all 3 legs. Tried to test the regulator as per the manual, but as usual, Japanese regulators never test like the manual says.

12.75 volts on battery before starting. Drops to 12.4 when started with no lights on. Turn on the lights and it drops to 11.5. Obviously not charging. All leads appear to be pugged in and clean.

Do I just assume the regulator is bad? Are these a known issue?

Thanks!
Tim
Tim61

Re: KR-1 charging issue

Post by Tim61 »

Well, no answers from the knowledgable, so I made a leap of faith. There was an NOS regulator/rectifier on Japan Aleado, very expensive (nearly twice what an aftermarket item would cost), but I always get a little nervous about aftermarket vs. OEM, so I bought it. Hope to have it here in a week or so, and I will post where there that is the solution or not.

In the mean time, I would love input from anyone who has experience chasing down charging gremlins on these smokers. Maybe I am overlooking something?

Thanks,
Tim
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

Hi, I bought an aftermarket reg/rectifier on e-bad, it was made by the same manufacturer who made the original ones, my problem was a tendency for the revs to climb and drop without warning and the battery was hot to the point of boiling after a short run, changing the reg/rectifier cured the problem, I just googled the symptoms on the net and there were loads of people on there with the same problem, this also came in handy when the carbs on my suzuki katana needed ultrasonically cleaning, saved loads of time and money :)
Tim61

Post by Tim61 »

Hmmm....good to know about the manufacturer being the same. Do you remember which one you bought??
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Tim61 wrote:...12.75 volts on battery before starting. Drops to 12.4 when started with no lights on. Turn on the lights and it drops to 11.5. Obviously not charging. All leads appear to be pugged in and clean.

Do I just assume the regulator is bad? Are these a known issue?

Thanks!
Tim
Tim; There could be a problem with your rectifier-regulator, but have you tried increasing the engine speed with the lights on (or off) to see if the voltage increases...or decreases?

I and others have had good service from the ElectrexWorld RR26 (http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog ... KR-1S.html) - about half the price of the "genuine" item the last time I looked. As the unit is physically slightly larger than the original, a small adaptor plate is necessary to mount it in the original position, but it was no great difficulty to make one.

If you want to keep an eye on the voltage as you ride, this may help: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12509&p=91855&hili ... tem#p91855

Regards,
James
Tim61

Post by Tim61 »

James, the voltage stays the same with varied RPM, dropping slowly and steadily with time. Same with lights on only with faster discharge.

AC voltage increases from just under 30 VAC at an idle to over 32 volts at 2k rpm. I didn't test at higher rpm, as it was obvious I had more than enough output from the stator.

Tim
pookie
Oil Injector

Post by pookie »

Here's the regulator/rectifier i bought about a year ago for my 1989 kr-1 b2, its gone up in price a bit but he had more than ten when i bought mine, its plug and play and i've had no issues since fitting it :) P.S don't be put off by the fact that it says kr-1s only because the 1988/89 b2 model uses the same part http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-KR1- ... SwiYFXLFqy
James P
Oil Injector

Post by James P »

Tim61 wrote:James, the voltage stays the same with varied RPM, dropping slowly and steadily with time. Same with lights on only with faster discharge.

AC voltage increases from just under 30 VAC at an idle to over 32 volts at 2k rpm. I didn't test at higher rpm, as it was obvious I had more than enough output from the stator.

Tim
Hmm...looks as if the stator is OK then - I presume you measured similar output voltages on all three phases?

Let us know whether anything changes after your new rectifier-regulator is fitted!

Regards,
James
Tim61

Re: KR-1 charging issue UPDATE

Post by Tim61 »

UPDATE!!!!

I received the NOS regulator/rectifier from Japan yesterday.

As most of you know, Japanese charging systems NEVER test like the manual says they should. At least that has been my experience for the last 35 years. Even when they were brand new "back in the day", they didn't test exactly as the manual said they should. So, sadly, many times you are stuck with the "parts switching" method of trouble shooting, which is complete bullshit, again, in my opinion.

Since the stator, had good output on all three legs, I was left to ASSUME that the problem must reside in the regulator/rectifier. Only swapping with a known good one would tell me if I was on the right track or not. Not how I like to troubleshoot, but it is what it is sometimes....

Installed the fresh NOS until out of the Kawasaki box, prodded the kick starter, and instantly saw 13.5 volts at the battery, which was sitting at 12.7 with everything off. Switched on the lights and the voltage jumped to 14+. PERFECT!!! DONE!!! RIDE IT!!! :D

Thanks for everyone's input. Being that there could not be more than a handful of these beasties here in the States, I am in a position where I have to resort to the forum's collective knowledge. And now I have Ben able to add to the collective! Yay! 8)

Tim