PreMix or Injector

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
NOS EXUP
Heavy Smoker

PreMix or Injector

Post by NOS EXUP »

Interested in members views on sticking with Injector or converting to Premix ?

If converting to Premix then whats the best way to disable the system assuming the oil pump itself relies on oil for lubrication.?

Remove oil pump completely?
Remove White plastic gear ?
Remove Tank and pipes ?
Can cable be removed neatly and simply retaining standard throttle cable ?

Whats the best and tidiest blanking method if pump removed ?

I presume clutch casing and right hand casings require complete removal to remove pump and drive ?
Would metal driving gear be removed as well as plastic driven gear ?

choice of oil for premix ? a747 ? ratio ?

Is it generally considered premix to be more reliable ?

comments please
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

if your pump is ok keep with pumped oil...my pump is stilll ok after 17 years n no problems......but if your a racer just remove the plastic gear....... :D :D :D

or blank off the hole... :D :D :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

If your using the bike on the road I would stick with the pump. If its track use then you can remove it.

Its not a hard job. remove the lot, you need to take the clutch side casings off and remove the drive gear and the pump. You need to blank the resulting hole off in the casing. split the throttle cable where it splits from 1 to 3 and remove the cable for the pump. Remove the oil lines and oil tank and plug the holes in the inlet rubbers.

I run at between 30 to 40 -1 depending on how I feel :D . I use Silkolene Pro 2 Race pre mix oil which they recommend to use at 40:1 but I mix a bit extra in especially if its a very fast track with long straights.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

If your using the bike on the road I would stick with the pump. If its track use then you can remove it.

Its not a hard job. remove the lot, you need to take the clutch side casings off and remove the drive gear and the pump. You need to blank the resulting hole off in the casing. split the throttle cable where it splits from 1 to 3 and remove the cable for the pump. Remove the oil lines and oil tank and plug the holes in the inlet rubbers.

I run at between 30 to 40 -1 depending on how I feel :D . I use Silkolene Pro 2 Race pre mix oil which they recommend to use at 40:1 but I mix a bit extra in especially if its a very fast track with long straights.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
rc46
Oil Injector

Post by rc46 »

Just a side, note.

I have just recently taken apart an engine, he had left the pump on and just removed the Lines and Bottle etc.. HOWEVER next time your inside the engine have a good look at the gear, this one was definatly on its way out its was stripped right down and the plastic was in a bad way...

If your pump is working Leave it but check that gear when you can. Premix is a pain in the bum but at least i know its getting oil...

Youll need to think about rejetting as well if you do decide to go the premix way.

Cheers
1 x TDR250 Black
1 x TDR50 Blue
1 x TZR250 3MA
1 x TZ250 3YL
1 x TZ250 N (to be restored)
1 x TD3 (being rebuilt)
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

premix on the road is a pain in the arse, costantly carrying bottle of oil under the seat and trying to get the right ratio when you fill up.
oils up to easy in town.
you need to get a lick on and get some revs up for a while for it to clear its throat.
I nearly gassed cliff to death once while out for a run, we were zipping along but it was still killing him to be behind me.
stick with the pump.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

check the pump, gear etc for wear/tear as if they then the obvious happens. i use premix on any performance stroker as i then know its getting oil and the pump is one less thing to worry about, however the std autolube system should be no problem on the road. if you go the premix route the blank the inlets off with shortened number plate screws, making sure there flush on the inlet side as you dont wanna restrict the flow unecessery. on my bike i used some carbon fibre cut to shape to blank off pump/kickstart(racebike) held in as a push fit(just fits really tight) and liquid gasket. looks fairly tidy and has lasted ages. if i had a really mint std kr i would retain the pump but it would'nt have to stand up to the same levels of abuse as a racer.