pick up exciter coil

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

pick up exciter coil

Post by NOSHER »

hi guys-any one point me in the direction of a supplier for the pickup coil for my kr1??
not good with multi testers so thought process of elimination would be the way to cure non start(again).
YOU GET MORE POKES WITH TWOSTROKES !!

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: pick up exciter coil

Post by JanBros »

almost any that fit's will be ok. have used from ZZR600 and GTR1000 on KR's
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks Jan--any idea what the resistance is on the coils you mentioned--the kr is 100-150ohms ?

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

from manual :

zzr600 380-570 ohm
zxr400 355-535
zx6 '02 452-462
zx9 '94 375-575
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks Jan--i`ll add that info to my collection.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

they just need to send a signal (voltage), and as that varies with the speed of rotation, it doesn't realy matter how much ohm the pickup has and they all should work on KR's
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

okay fella thanks-- I contacted Elextrec regarding supply of one and they haven`t bothered with a reply after i sent the measurements and photos more than a week ago to them---- so i`ll buy the one advertised on ebay in the usa @£25 including postage--it has a part number but i have no way of researching what its for but it looks the same as the KR except it terminates in a 2PIN plug as opposed to the kr 3pin(green for neutral )

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Update--flywheel puller finally arrived and i changed over the genny windings with a "loft spare"-back together--no start and no spark---but got one backfire then nothing.
Finally got to grips with my multitester and got readings for the stator coils and the pickup coil within range stated in w/s manual so possibly not either of them at fault
Haven`t tested it yet, as i type, but does the DIODE play a part in the ignition sequence? if not what is its function.(is it still available from Kawasaki ? )
Will swop out the ignition coil tomorrow to see if there is a spark---if not I will again fit my spare Kr1S cdi and see if that gives any joy.
I`m clutching at straws here and i have 4 off these spare but does the rectifier have a part to play in the ignition sequence or is it just controlling output for the lighting circuit?

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

see page 15-17 (electrical system KR1 manual) : everything on that wiring diagram is sorta involved for the ignition.
everuthinh that is not on it, has nothing to do with the ignition.

"sorta", because even with a dead battery, the KR will start IF the stator and regulator produce enough electricity and the lights are switched of.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Still sorting through the various wiring diagrams to check continuity from various items to various items--wanted to check resistance of the diode(cos still not sure what its function is in the wiring scheme especially as i do now know it converts ac to dc power and it appears in lighting and ignition diagrams)but when the manual was printed testers were analogue which i don`t have, mine is digital as most or all are now so the instruction to set the meter ohms @x100 does not appear on digital multitesters.
I set mine at 200 ohms and got no readings on any pins--set it it up to 2k and got 712 reading on all incoming(anode?)pins and no reading at all on the opposing(cathode?)pins.
How this relates to the wording in the KR Bible now God only knows----------- ANYONE?????????????????

DIODE STILL AVAILABLE IN CASE ANYONE IS INTERESTED--THE PART NUMBER IS 49018-1052

But i don`t fancy spending £34 on one just because i can`t test it for function.
There must be a bike electrician amongst us KR owners out there that can shed light on this? Surely they are not all----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"i just ride `em mate" are they?-------help please anyone.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

UPDATE(another)--
question 1.is a KR1S CDI a DIRECT replacement on a KR1 ??

Still no sparks after exploring wiring loom connectors for continuity --kill switch works as should-- fitted new ignition coil and ht leads--ignition switch has power out to kips motor and up to cdi unit--unit can`t be tested so fitted my loft spare kr1s--turned on ign switch and kips motor does not activate--hence my QUESTION 1 .
Refitted original cdi unit and changed rectifier for yet another spare--still no sparks.
Power up to headlight 6way connector--headlight working---checked out no display at all fro the 4 i"idiot lights"---ALL 4 BULBS BLOWN BLACK !!!!
Is this an indication of something expensively terminal like a damaged cdi unit--i have no test rig for my spare rectifiers that i have fitted on and off during test fitting so could a duff one of these fried the cdi last time i had the bike running???

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

Now then Nosher. As said, sounds like your reg/rect has failed and blown the bulbs and poss the CDI. First always run the KR with a good charged battery, a flat/damaged battery can allow the reg to put out too high a voltage. Get a good reg'rec unit on it, also run a single earth wire from engine to reg/rec mounting bolt then make sure the loom/battery/reg/engine all have a very good earth connection right through.

Second the diode in the loom is part of the cutout system (sidestand safety circuit) If you remove it the bike won't start. If the sidestand switch is broken that can stop the spark but if you pull the clutch in it should bypass that and spark (assuming clutch switch is ok. For testing purposes to bypass the whole circuit you can just remove the diode then run a bypass wire from the br/w wire (coming from CDI, there are 3 of them go into the diode but they are all joined together) straight to earth. Basically for the CDI to spark, the br/w white must have a connection to earth.

Whatever you do I would say don't plug another CDI unit in until you've made sure that either you've got a good reg/rec on and the battery/charging voltage isn't going to go above 15V. For testing, maybe make sure the batt is good the unplug the reg completely, that way at least if the engine fires everything is running just off battery voltage, won't hurt to run it like that for a up to a minute or so.

Hope that lot helps.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Wow Boz no real info for ages and suddenly a bike electrician appears!! thank god--
thats a lot of good info Boz and before i get started can you please tell a" leccy newbie" what ohms setting my Digital multi tester should be set on to get the correct readings as the manual i believe in saying set your tester to the x100 ohms setting was when testers were analogue and not digital and both my testers have 200/2k/200k/and 2m ranges?
i set my tester on 2k and got a reading on the original reg/rec within the figure in the manual--i have 4 four other spares and they all showed the almost identical reading @2k ohms.
The battery is brand new and is a Lithium version so no prob there with voltage.
Fitted an additional earth from the battery/frame connection to engine casing ages ago (can`t remember why).
Diode is in circuit--but bike never had a stand switch and the connector under tank was looped out(this part missing 20 years ago was why when the bike when bought would not start---leccy looped it out started first prod!!( he`s not around anymore worse luck 4 me)s
Swopped out the stator windings for a spare set but when tested both sets showed same reading so presume both ok and not the starting fault(IF TESTER SETTINGS ARE CORRECT)
Tested pick up coil reading tested ok.
Ignition coil is new as are ht leads---old ht coil tested out same reading as new.
Will try your bypass testing tip tomorrow and put on additional earths as suggested to see if i get a result
I really appreciate your info Boz as electrical is the only thing on bikes that leave me abso bewildered and if you could let me know about the multitester setting as soon as possible i can run all my checks again.
col

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30
DougB
Oil Injector

Post by DougB »

To test when you expect to get a reading up to 100 ohms you want to set the meter to 200.

Check the meter, wires apart should have no reading, wires together should display close to 0, just resistance through the leads.

Often a good way to check is set the meter too high, attach the leads to the load then reduce the range until you get a reading.

eg. set meter to 200K (you don't normally need to use 2M on vehicle electrics but there are exceptions), test the load (resistance), if display goes down to 0 then set the meter to the next scale down then test again. Every time the reading drops to 0 drop down to the next scale. Eventually the reading should drop to a figure rather than 0. So if you are set on the scale 200, and the load is reading as 37.4, you are measuring 37.4 Ohms. If you are set on 2K and you are reading 1.67, you are measuring 1670 Ohms.
NOSHER
Heavy Smoker

Post by NOSHER »

Thanks for that boz--surprising how you can begin to understand something when its explained in plain language-----i will retest everything today armed with my fresh info on "leccy""!!!
much appreciated.

KRI
CBR250RR
CBR400RR NC23
vfr400 nc30