Shrinking a 300 to a 250

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Re: Shrinking a 300 to a 250

Post by mellorp » Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 pm

A bit more progress

New crank in the cases. some lovely 3 bond and it's all torqued up nicely. Balance shaft with the most ridiculous alignment marks is in. Gearbox slotted in and all the gears select. Stator and flywheel on and some lovely new carb rubbers. Extra clips and washers back on ready for the clutch. The water pipe O rings had a liberal application of silicon spray to help them seat properly.

Impressed with the ease it goes together, although I do lay everything out as it comes apart so I just reverse what I did to put it back together. That way you don't actually have to remember what to do next as it's all laid out in front of you :-)

I had the engine mount welded last week so the next job is bolting the new top end on the engine and flirting it back in frame

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156864217 ... 2182914232

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Tue May 29, 2018 7:44 am

Spent a bit of spare time bolting the newly powder coated swing arm in. Looks good. Then spent a frustrating hour putting the BDK F3 valves and connecting rods together. 1st fix of adjusting the arms loosely and all working fine. New carb rubbers and gaskets and new pistons installed with a healthy douse of 2T oil all over the crank, small ends and rings. Barrels on finger tight before I'm ready to torque the head on and do the final kips adjustments.

As an aside I did buy an extra set of F3 valves and these will be sold with the 300 kit.

I should get the engine back in the frame this week. Once the clutch, electrics carbs (cleaned of course) are bolted on along with the brand new Venhill supplied cables, it will be ready for it's first splash of go juice. I'm getting ahead of myself here

So a quick recap. Powder coated wheels and many brackets including the swing arm (to me low priority). A pretty much brand new engine, new crank, ceramic plated barrels,wiseco piston kits, BDK KIPS valves (with 2 x std and 2 x F3) and arms, Fully refurbished brakes and new SBS pads with braided lines. And a new 5A battery. The larger capacity battery from the VJ23 fits in the battery box.

More pics to follow

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Another bit of progress. The KIPS valves are in and the motor is back in the frame. I realised, either a bit late or just in time depending on your PMA. The engine previously being a 300 was jetted differently from std. A quick call to NRP Manchester and some std stuff is on the way. Also found out no thermostat fitted in the 300 head. Is there a cheaper alternative available ?

KIPS valves working beautifully https://www.flickr.com/photos/156864217 ... 182914232/ Hopefully once connected to the servo the operation is as good :-)

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 pm

The clutch "star" had one weak arm. As I was tightening it I though it was a bit soft and sure enough twang it snapped. A replacement was quickly sourced and the clutch is in. Gearbox double checked and it runs up and down the gears OK. Carbs cleaned and adjusted as is the oil pump. New(throttle and kips) cables from Venhils are lovely. New fuel and overflow pipes (wemoto) mean everything rubber associated with the fuel delivery is brand new.
New thermostat and sensor ordered from Cradly. No point in doing all this then bodging it trying to rush at the end
I used genuine head, base and carb gaskets, but picked up a pattern gasket set for everything else. Even came with water pipe o rings.
Popped a battery on and everything that I can see needs to work is working, which is good
Fitted the zeeltronic today and set up the KIPS valves using my laptop. I'll probably download the settings from my other, well sorted, KR1s and program the 2 bikes the same. Should give a pretty good starting point. Of course I will have to recalibrate the KIPS valves and tweak it as no doubt there are minor differences

Some time soon I should be ready to fire it up using an auxiliary tank after a once over checking everything is torqued up properly. It might be ready to ride just as the sunny weather ends !!!

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 pm

What this means is I have surplus to requirements of
A 300 kit of crank, piston kit x 2, 300cc barrels and head with temp sensor (already reserved)
Swing arm
std Airbox
Set 4 kips valves, two original std (used) two F3 (brand new)
Set of 4 original kips wheels
Set of 3 original kips actuating arms
Clutch baskets clips springs and all plates. Missing parts are the "star" which has one arm broken off and the funny washer that sits between in the inner and outer baskets, the one that slides over the splines
Front and rear wheels
Fuse box
Side stand

Plus what ever else seems to have been duplicated. Once it's all bolted back together I'll make a definitive list and pop it in the for sale section

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:56 pm

I downloaded the map from the other KR1s and re set the KIPS valves then bolted on a few more bits, air box, pipes, added some Tyga end cans with a bit of drilling on the std pipes along with the proper exhaust support bracket. Rear pegs with new springs and clips. Work nicely. Also put new return springs in the front pegs. I realised the chain slider wasn't on so popped that on along with the chain and sprockets. A check that all things had been tightened before popping the fuel tank on. Yes I know it's in the house but it fired 1st kick but I quickly hit the kill switch !!!

Last few (never ending) things to add before it gets rolled out for a spin round the block, but that will be next week as I need to do other stuff

Latest pics on the Flikr album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156864217 ... 182914232/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156864217 ... 182914232/