Bolt sizes ?

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Bolt sizes ?

Post by vector74 »

Hi,

Some ahole has rounded the transmission drain plug and the water drain bolt doesnt look much better. Does anyone know what size/length of bolt the transmission drain and water drain plugs are ? Im guessing the transmission drain is a 12mm ? and ive no idea what water drain is (looks like a circle bolt on mine) Im going to have to get an easy out bolt extractor thing and drill into bolts but then im not sure what size to replace them with. I was going to buy some assorted bolts but then I was thinking ive no idea what length they should be (dont know size either )

Thanks for any help!
kr1-s c2
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

I'll look tonight, mine is on the bench ready to split the crank cases, so it's all accessible.

Probably be the morning before I get back on the pc.
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

vector has anything been straightforward on your bike? :lol:
Smokings Good For You
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

just use a 6 point socket you can buy a set cheap from halfords etc. They work by gripping on the flats which you cant round off so it will still undo it. I think the drain plugs will be a 12 or 13 mm head as they are an 8mm thread, for that size torque is usually about 15lbs ish if you want to be proffesional when doing it back up :lol: .
er just out of interest what on earth have you bought :roll: :lol: does anything work on it :lol: :lol:
Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

Ditto the 6 sided socket as JohnB - my water drain was particularly tight.

GENTLE heat will also help the ali expand more than the steel. Shouldn't need more that a hot kettle of water.

Water - M8 x 1.25 thread (which is standard), 10mm long threaded section
10mm head which is unusual (can't see any reason)

Oil - M10 x 1.5 thread (standard again), 14mm long threaded section
12mm head, again which is unusual.

I presume the bolts have been given non standard small heads to try and prevent people from over tightening them (ironic), but there's plenty clearance, so you could use standard bolt heads. Allen head cap or buttons might look better.

Good luck.
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

I got a set of netrinch spanners which are excellent for rounded off stuff

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/i ... anguage=gb

Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
vector74
Heavy Smoker

Post by vector74 »

Thanks for the help. Lol Garry, it started off easy removing parts like fairing etc and every spanner fitted but then it went horribly wrong as you can tell heh.. :lol:
kr1-s c2