Project Ditch Salvage

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Abel
Smoker

Project Ditch Salvage

Post by Abel »

I'm having a contest with my 2 brothers called "Project 750" - Don't get excited - it doesn't mean I'm trying to fit three motors into one frame.
A date set, a location set. We’re not racing but we’re all leaving at the same time and whoever gets to the end first is the best.
The budget to procure a bike and get it on the road (doesn’t include the cost of insurance, tax and an MOT test) is £750. However, the 2nd rule is the genius of it.
To stop someone going out a blowing £750 on a knackered blade, the budget reduces by £1 for every cc of engine size. So you’ve only got £150 to buy a 600 with, or a massive £660 to buy and fit a nitrous kit to a h***a C90.

Anyway, this is a long preamble of how I came the proud owner of the ditch salvage. Liberated from round the back of some blokes mums house, where he had left it beside (sadly not under) a plastic sheet for 18months, following having low-sided it into a ditch. From the condition of it I think he may have left it in the ditch for a while.

Unsurprisingly some bartering on the price was conducted beacuase of the condition and I trailered it away into the sunset.

This is what it looked like when I got it home, except I had taken the tail piece off by the time I got the camera out. Apart from the time spent gathering moss, this machine had taken some serious punishment and mechanical abuse. The pictures make it look a lot better than it actually is!
Obviously the foot peg has gone, but look at the previous “repair” to the hanger!
Hmm that’s going to take more than solvol
This is not a slick, look really hard and you can see the remains of the tread. This was being ridden on the road!
So, It’s purple then - Oh, and the motor doesn't turn, I didn’t get a key, the steering lock is still on, there was no V5, the rest of the bodywork is in so many bits I took in away in tesco bags, neither wheel turns, the throttle seems to be seized, there’s no rear light (there’s not even a hole for one in the fibreglass single seat), the front tyre has tread but is perised and split, there's a family of spiders living under tha tank, which look like they've only recently evicted a gang of mice!

Hmm, hardly a bargain at £50. I’m starting to think I’m going to need about 3 times the £450 I’ve got left to get this back on the road.
With the budget I've got left this is not going to be a concours restoration.
Wish me luck!

As you can see from the dates on the photos, I've already starting work on this, but I won't post it all at once, it'll ruin the tension!
Oh, has anyone got a decent pair of forks they'd let me buy? Please?
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

450 aint a lot to get thing sorted, good luck, your gonna need it
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Sounds like a bit of fun and 50 quid is still a bargain . Tyres might bite into the budget a bit hard tho .
Good Luck .
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

£50 :shock: - what do you want - blood ? :lol:
Smokings Good For You
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

I've seen worse, generally on ebay with the words 'rare, classic, opportunity to buy, project, little work needs, easy fix etc' :lol:

Good luck with it.
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

post what you need on the forum
then if people donate things
you can raffle the bike after the event on the forum :D

worth it i think :?
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Garry wrote:£50 :shock: - what do you want - blood ? :lol:
Generous to a fault, I’ll owe the guy another £50 if I can get the motor running without a rebuild!
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

corky wrote:post what you need on the forum
then if people donate things
you can raffle the bike after the event on the forum :D

worth it i think :?
A cunning idea Corky, but I think such devious blagging might be considered not in the spirit of the contest – and both my brothers are bigger than me (and there’s two of them!)
Plus I’m getting to like the old girl - Perfectly proportioned and petite – reminds me of Kylie!
At the end of it all I might be smitten
Abel
Smoker

Post by Abel »

Okay, so I was told that it was put away running, but the fact that the kick start is solid makes me suspicious to say the least.
A mixture of paraffin and penetrating fluid down the bores, a socket and breaker bar on the alternator retaining bolt with a sack of maris piper hanging on the end, and the whole lot was left to mature overnight. A few days later and there were spuds all over the garage floor.
New battery, bodge a switch in to replace ignition (no key) and …. Strewth the power valve servo swings as it should, a boot of the kickstart and there are sparks!!
However – I’d like to see what the bores look like so head off (breaking one power valve in the process) and……

It looks like someone has filled the cylinder with mustard mayonnaise!

And the cat has crapped in the crankcase!

This little lot looks rather costly - It may be game over!
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

oooh no good :(

Daniel has a few engines he may px that on a runner,

corky
kr1s project wanted
03 r6 race/trackbike
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

are you sure it's not just water (now rusty) from sitting uncovered for so long, that has mixed with the parrafin/penetrating fluid mix along with some settled feul/oil.
PS, a little tip I've picked up on here is always take both barrells and head off together, as this saves you snapping power valves. Bit late for that advice now I spose :oops:

Good luck mate.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

That looks like water & oil. Strip the cylinders and the crankcases down and remove the crank. Clean off all the crap (all of it from every component, including the top end) and if your lucky and the crank is good you may still have 90% of a runner. Check the manual and test the play on the big ends while your at it. the problem you need to watch for is corrosion of the crank or the big end bearings. Once the crank is cleaned up and if it looks ok get some two stroke oil and work it into the bearings. Worst case is that your looking at a crank rebuild.

There are two tips to KR engines, the first scottaKR has just posted , the second is to always make sure you get some decent two stroke oil into all moving parts like the crank bearings, little ends, power valves etc. as you reassemble the engine.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

BTW forgot to say that looking at those pictures is that you will need atleast new rings fitting to both cylinders, maybe new top end but I can't see the state of the pistons in the photos. The cylinders will clean up with some gentle rubbing with some 1000 grit wet and dry providing the nikosil plating is still good.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

i have a spare powervalve you can have
(will cost you £1 as i dont want it to look like your cheating, that inc p&p) :)

get it stripped aand let us know what you need :)
kr1s project wanted
03 r6 race/trackbike
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

corky wrote:i have a spare powervalve you can have
(will cost you £1 as i dont want it to look like your cheating, that inc p&p) :)
That's one of the reasons youll grow to love this forum.... They're just so damn helpful. 8)
By the way, welcome to the best forum on the net. \:D/ \:D/
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)