SP/F3 kit steering stopper

General queries KR Bikes
James P
Heavy Smoker

SP/F3 kit steering stopper

Post by James P » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:10 pm

This may be a long shot; Does anyone have the steering stopper from the 1988 SP/F3 kit (Part No.32085-1303)?

I want to try to make one of these or something similar, but dimensions would be handy! I have taken most of the measurements directly from the frame to create something similar, but I would prefer to make a direct copy of the original part if I can.

Thanks & regards,
James

KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Re: SP/F3 kit steering stopper

Post by KR-1R » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm

is all i have from a saved web page... can probably scale photo off parts sticker

jarno
Oil Injector

Post by jarno » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Kr1r

Please check your Pm

Cheers Jarno,
Kr1s C1 zeus blue
ZXR400 SP
ZXR250A

Gerrit
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gerrit » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:24 am

Judging by the photos the material thickness is about 2 mm so it shouldn't be too difficult to make a copy.
"Mine is a long and sad tale", said the mouse.
"Indeed it is", said Alice, looking at the mouse's tail.

James P
Heavy Smoker

Post by James P » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:55 am

KR-1R wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm
is all i have from a saved web page... can probably scale photo off parts sticker
Thanks for that Danny - I have those same photos from when an SP or F3 kit was split up on Yahoo ages ago! I even put a bid on the steering stopper from that lot, but the price went higher than I thought it was worth (what else is new? :cry: ).
More recently, there was an incomplete SP kit (mainly missing the pipes) on offer, which eventually sold for somewhere around 45000JPY. Again, that was too much for me to pay just to get the steering stopper!

I have so far created a near-original replica of the steering stopper in cardboard. Thanks to the info you supplied some time ago, I discovered that the stopper limits the steering arc to 22 degrees each side, which was handy for drawing up the design. I have had to put this aside for a while to spend time on other things, but I will (I hope) get back to it eventually. I am toying with the idea of a two-part stopper to simplify the manufacturing process somewhat, but haven't made any firm decisions yet. I am also considering some ideas for obtaining the same result with different designs, but lack of time has prevented much progress.

Gerrit; I too thought that the material thickness appeared to be about 2mm, which is what I would probably use in the absence of an accurate measurement from the genuine article.

If anyone turns up a genuine steering stopper, or is aware of an aftermarket item, I'd certainly be glad of some dimensions.

Thanks & regards,
James