cleaning exhausts out

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
garye345
Premix Junkie

cleaning exhausts out

Post by garye345 »

want to get my exhausts clean and was wondering were you get the bits?i thought hang them from shed roof with some wire through the end can bolt holes and fill with caustic soda.but what do you use to plug the exhaust end?
will i be ok just putting my cans on the house fire(still on solid fuel open fire)and then polishing them back up when they are clean,or is a blow torch best :?
need to do it cause i think its choking the engine up,and i should be getting one of my good engines put back in soon :D cheers that man O:)
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

caustic soda is very messy but works well. to block up the stinger end, use a spud and fill from the ex port end. not sure about std cans as there sealed. i think too much heat will turm them to ash so be very carefull. i use oxy/acytelene gear to decoke my pipes rather than caustic but only as the gear is at work. stinks f awful though. after getting the pipe to glow, tap with a rubber/wooden mallet so the now dried depostits drop out. bike will feel much sharper afterwards.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

honestly use a spud :shock: right idea aint thought a that one =D> i was thinking brewing shop for bungs,making plates to put sealant round to make water tight that kinda thing.
the cans are 1s ones so if they will put up with oxy/ass temps surely i can just make a wood fire and put them on there :D
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

bonfire night's coming - put them on there :lol:

i used caustic soda once didn't seem to do anything - perhaps i
was doing something wrong :?
Smokings Good For You
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

forgot to mention i remove the cans and dismantle em (race pipes) to repack the wadding so have not had them near oxy/acetelyne. tbh i dont think a bonfire will hurt but may affect the wadding? really not sure about that. worth a try i suppose. the cans are more likely to be caked in wet oily residue rather than hard carbon unlike the pipe itself. in my experience the cans dont get too bad. the spud thing is a good idea innit? got that off of the rd site i think? cheap surefire way to seal the blank the pipe of if using the caustic soda solution.
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

Garry wrote:bonfire night's coming - put them on there :lol:

i used caustic soda once didn't seem to do anything - perhaps i
was doing something wrong :?
:lol: can picture it now,going up to council guy and asking for my stingers putting on the fire :lol:
sorry i didnt have a chat at cadwell garry,didnt know who you were till someone said when you were going #-o
nice bike by the way,how do you keep yer wheels so clean :?: :shock: dont know if its the pads or if i always brake too hard but mine are filthy after 1 ride :?
how far did you have to go to get there?90 mile each way for me and boy did i know it when i got home :D
garry i have got a brandnew rear seat and a pad for the rear that have got your name all over them :D pm me you address and i will send them to you.thats a nice bike you have got there friend,so excuse me if i try and make it a little better,cause thats all i could see wrong with it :D
have you thoght your exhausts could have been clean to start with :)
mgkr1 you my friend are a star cheers brother :D
by the way some people say jo lo has an ugly backend :shock: i totally disagree!well done with the motor =D> you and dave will be making a gto forum then :mrgreen: see if you can get 11 togeather :lol: 12 actually cause performance bikes van had a kr1s(black and green)in the back,should have put that in the line up the lar :D
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

hi gary - didn't know who most people were apart from elf and MJ - now
i know which bike was yours i know who you are #-o

washed the wheels a couple of miles up the road - only joking :lol: -

thanks for the compliments - but i didn't do the work

i've got the pad thanks - the foam one is glued on by the previous owner :roll:

75 miles each way was my distance - just about right in a day - its a nice
run to cadwell from where i live

out of about 30 people watching met a couple from the same village - couldn't believe it :?

have a chat next time :)
Smokings Good For You
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

well guys gotta say the stingers on a open fire works sound,if you dont put wood around one and melt it :oops: the other one that i had on the top has lost about a 3rd of its weight,the smoke that came out was surprising to say the least,so i think it would be worth while if you just keep them turning till they stop smoking :( not till the end pipe and mounts drop through the fire grate :shock: talk about a"me biscuits fell in me brew moment"
any how if anyone thinks it would help there bike my thoughts are make a little fire outta sticks(about a foot round)place end cans on,when they start smoking turn them over(think making sausages)when they stop smoking take them off and polish back to normal.
hope my pipes are or right though,they av been full a caustic soda since thursday :mrgreen:
caustic soda,just try and buy that these days :shock: that bed linen guy hey :roll: