Noob :)

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Noob :)

Post by Spliffyaid »

Hey all, just thought i would pop a post in to introduce myself.

I have just (yesterday) bought this lot :roll: 8)

A box of bits (dont get me wrong, i knew what i was picking up)

Let me tell you, this lot is gonna stretch my "O" level in motor vehicles studies all i ever learnt was how to hot wire a Vauxhall Viva ;D

Not really interested in this lot, as it will be a track bike the whole fairing is there, just not in shot

Hmmmm two and a half engines here somewhere

Some forks, swinging arm and exhausts

Frame and wheels and the like

A box of stuff

Some new stuff hidden away

WIsh me luck, but come the other side of winter, im hoping to have a castrol R smelling screamer 8)

But i reckon im gonna need some help, hence signing up here :lol:

Its not my first project, but its my first with the engine the way it is. The barrels look fairly scored, but i assume that replating will help this?

Can anyone give me the name of anyone that can do this in the North West? (im 2 mins away from Oulton) or if anyone is local and wants to a stick there head in to have a look at the damage, that would be cool :)
Fuelled by 1664
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

I should also add that this is not a restoration, this is being built as a track bike :)
Fuelled by 1664
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

You are a brave man! welcome to the forum
Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
wakasaki
Heavy Smoker

v

Post by wakasaki »

:D
Hello And very Warning Welcome...

Ooh did ya buy that lot with a dream
of being a J Reynolds?
Anyway...
Looks like many of my projects
Start by putting one of everything
with the frame...
and then you will find howmany spares
you have..
Then start again this time swopping the
Best Bits to the frame...and so on..
Soon you will have a good Project...
Good Luck....
Plenty of Helpers on Here... and from the
North...mids..south... 8)
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

This was my last project, just finished, BSB chassis and wheels etc all from Hawk :)

Fuelled by 1664
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Good luck with it and welcome to the forum, is it going to be a 'as Mr Kawasaki intended' rebuild or are you going to mod it at all?

Looking at your last pic, don't think you'll have too many probs, the KR is one of the easiest bikes to work on, there's bugger all there!

Sure I've seen that pile of bits somewhere before, whereabouts did you pick it up from, if you don't mind me asking?

There's a few on here in the NW, so if you have any probs help should soon be to hand :lol:

Engine stuff, well, replated barrels BDK, linered barrels PJ engineering, Stan Stephens as well. Don't know if Grampian do anything and they're the only local one I can think of.
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

Red Devil 777 wrote:Good luck with it and welcome to the forum, is it going to be a 'as Mr Kawasaki intended' rebuild or are you going to mod it at all?

Looking at your last pic, don't think you'll have too many probs, the KR is one of the easiest bikes to work on, there's bugger all there!

Sure I've seen that pile of bits somewhere before, whereabouts did you pick it up from, if you don't mind me asking?

There's a few on here in the NW, so if you have any probs help should soon be to hand :lol:

Engine stuff, well, replated barrels BDK, linered barrels PJ engineering, Stan Stephens as well. Don't know if Grampian do anything and they're the only local one I can think of.
Its going to be built as a track bike, but having said that, i dont want it tuning to the point of it imploding and causing a black hole before the LHC does :lol:

If anyone fancies giving me a hand with the rebuild of the engine, i will pay them for their help :)

I bought it from Didcot :)

Stan Stevens cant do anyhting till November :shock:

What are the pro's and cons of a re lined barrel as to plated? Think my could probably do with re lining as the exhaust port looks pretty fubar'ed ](*,)
Fuelled by 1664
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

hi and welcome aboard m8y.........
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

Well, ive had a quick hour in the garage to see what is there and what isnt, looks pretty good and looks like i have 2 of everything, apart from a front wheel spindle and engine mounting bolts :) both of which i have sourced from ebay at the princley sum of 99p atm :)

Found a local place that will shotblast the frame, swinging arm, wheels, exhausts, engine casings etc for £150 which is nice, then get what ever i need to powder coated :)

Could do with some advice from you guys.........

What do you think to these barrels?

Welded and replated or re lined? Could probably do with a new head as well?

Scoring is maybe 1mm deep?

At least i have some half decent brakes

and carbs

Pretty much 2 of everything!!

Which is just as well :shock:

Anyone wanna buy a real old school classic? 8)

Last edited by Spliffyaid on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuelled by 1664
D.I.Y
Smoker

Post by D.I.Y »

:mrgreen:

so you have joined the dark side of strokers eh
reference the barrels being scored they look in better condition than mine were when i bought the bike , check out the pictures on my earlier posts

BDK are still at them but they didnt seem to have any dramas fixing and re lining with nicosil

welcome to the forum [/img]
KR1 IN SERIOUS NEED OF ATTENTION
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

For £150 ther's a place in Mossley Gtr Manchester that'd shotblast your frame, wheels swingarm etc and powdercoat them! (and probably change!)

Just a though, might be worth the drive down the M56.

Engine casings, if you want them like new get 'em vapour blasted and if you're stuck I know a man who can!
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

Red Devil 777 wrote:For £150 ther's a place in Mossley Gtr Manchester that'd shotblast your frame, wheels swingarm etc and powdercoat them! (and probably change!)

Just a though, might be worth the drive down the M56.

Engine casings, if you want them like new get 'em vapour blasted and if you're stuck I know a man who can!
Vapour blasted? WTF is that :lol: i would like em like new :)

Oh and details of the guys in Mossley please :)
Fuelled by 1664
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Vapour Blasting,
have a look here viewtopic.php?t=3566&highlight=
Powder coating place, best bet is pm me a tel no and I'll ring and explain it to you! Vapour Blasting guy is another 10 miles further on in Huddersfield (about 2 mins up the road from me)
garye345
Premix Junkie

Post by garye345 »

hello and welcome that man!
your already getting put ont reet track lad :!: :mrgreen:
this lot know all there is to know about the kr,from fetish to full race :)
looks like you already know yer way round a bike judging by a couple of yer photos! 8)
owt you need give me a shout(just selling a few in bits)might have it.
looks like you have got it all sorted though :D
I used to be so care less,as if i could'nt careless.
Spliffyaid
Smoker

Post by Spliffyaid »

garye345 wrote: owt you need give me a shout(just selling a few in bits)might have it.
looks like you have got it all sorted though :D
I "think" i need some head :) either that or a good dremeling session :lol: what heads have you got? :)
Fuelled by 1664