kr1stars hybrid

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
kr1stars
Smoker

kr1stars hybrid

Post by kr1stars »

Sorry its not a KR1 KR1s

Well thought I would post a couple of pics. I know it seams hardly anything has been done but its just waiting for parts etc.

Well hear is the plan. RD350 ypvs f2.
NC30 rear end (need NK Racing to mod it to fit), rear wheel undecided (nc30 or VFR 750 17 x 5")
Front end ZXR250 yokes, ZXR400 H usd forks, KR1s front wheel. Brakes RSV Mille Brembo master cylinder, CBR/VTR/GSXR calipers.
Paint will be all black with the original red & white decals and compleatly standard looking. Defo white wheels
Not sure about the frame, may re-powder coat it Black as I carnt see it working in Red ( Opinions Please )

I should have the bike all mocked up in about 6 weeks, I am going to run the bike for a month to see that it is all holding together.
After the test runs I will pull it compleatly apart and all the powder coating, chrome & paint will be done.

May at that stage get a new wiring loom as its been bodged ( Are these readly avalible, How much do they cost? )

Top end will be pulled off, head & porting mods, check to see the condition of the bigends, if ok I will leave the bottom end but still open the bottom of the crank case ports.

Also will be looking for some 32mm carbs. Want to build my own pipes but may just mod the microns as I dont like the sweep of them or the cans.

The ZXR250 yokes are a little more narrow than the 400's, this will go better with the narrow RD frame and 3" KR1s wheel. Also all I needed to do to fit them is cut the back of an old bearing off and there was my 3mm 25mm bore spacer, set of top bearings only for top and bottom of the yokes 25mm bore and it bolted straight in. Nice and easy. Need to get the ZXR400 axle shorted 8-10mm, turned down to 17mm o/d & re-threaded and the wheel will bolt on with speedo drive. Original clocks for me. :)

Thats all the boring bits, now for a few pics.

col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

If you use NK for anything get a DEFINATE 100% finish date for the job.
He is useles when it comes to doing things ontime.
he had my frame for the best part of 7 months and did NOTHING and
i mean NOTHING.
there is another thread on another site from a guy who has waited over a year for some work
and he had done NOTHING.
he had taken on lots of other jobs instead and was happily doing them instead of what he should be doing.
My advice is dont be fooled by the show bikes he's built and find someone
else who will get the job done on time.
wakasaki
Heavy Smoker

P

Post by wakasaki »

:shock:
That poor elsa...Blue and white
looks like its been left for 20yrs..
Shame...

Best of luck

Nothing Ventured ..nothing Gained..

You carry on...
get them finished..
kr1stars
Smoker

Post by kr1stars »

col wrote:If you use NK for anything get a DEFINATE 100% finish date for the job.
He is useles when it comes to doing things ontime.
he had my frame for the best part of 7 months and did NOTHING and
i mean NOTHING.
there is another thread on another site from a guy who has waited over a year for some work
and he had done NOTHING.
he had taken on lots of other jobs instead and was happily doing them instead of what he should be doing.
My advice is dont be fooled by the show bikes he's built and find someone
else who will get the job done on time.
I was planing on going to NK and spend part of the day with him when he gets back of holiday. Dont know anyone else who has done or that can mod the swingarm for me.
kr1stars
Smoker

Re: P

Post by kr1stars »

wakasaki wrote::shock:
That poor elsa...Blue and white
looks like its been left for 20yrs..
Shame...

Best of luck

Nothing Ventured ..nothing Gained..

You carry on...
get them finished..
The LC tax ran out in 1992, its been sat outside rusting away since then, it belongs to my half brother, he had it since he was a lad, he is the second owner. Nice piece of history. I would like to restore it but he thinks its worth alot and dont realise how much needs doing. He said that it dont matter if it gets berried with him.
Should be a social services for bikes, its tearfull to see it like that.
kr1stars
Smoker

Post by kr1stars »

Just an update.

I was concidering getting the swingarm machined to fit the frame. I was told that 5mm is taken of one side only and it runs only on one bearing one side as one is taken out.
I did not like this idea as it will put the rear end off center by 5mm, I know 5mm is nothing but concidering its mine I want the swingarm bang on center.
What I did was cut down the original spiggots in the frame down and re welded the spiggot to make sure its solid in the frame, also checked that the spindle would fit back in and it was all inline.

Had someone machine me some spacers & tube to fit the swingarm but also fit the original RD spindle, they also carry the bearings both sides, my measurements were out by 2mm each side so I had to use two extra spacers. Its a real nice tight fit which is needed as the bearings on the right side of the swingarm need slight preasure both sides and it moves up and down smoth with no play even with out being tightend up.

Just a few pics of the arm in.

My lil helper.

The chain is 5mm out of line but thats easy sorted, just need another sprocket and machine the old one down and attach the two.

Got a problem with the shock/arm link & dog bone, on the nc30 it is offset and also dont fit the RD frame.
Not sure what to do about this, ANY IDEAS PLEASE. :)

rvf nut
Smoker

Post by rvf nut »

hi mate ,i think the best idea there might be to remove the linkage mounts from the frame and reweld where required.
One problem i had when fitting an rgv one to my old rd was that the swing arm length cocked up the chain route due to the arm being longer than the rd one so i removed the swing arm spindle mounting point's from the frame and made new ones to suit (they need the holes to drop about 30-40mm from memory) keep up the good work . \:D/
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail
kr1stars
Smoker

Post by kr1stars »

Little more done and a few pics:

I have also first of all with string then with a laser line checked to see if its all inline, wheel to headstock through various mountain points and YES rear wheel to headstock inline. :D

Standing almost on its own wheels: :shock:

One slight issue, the left side exhaust wont pass by the swingarm and also the rear'set will also catch. :(

kr1stars
Smoker

Post by kr1stars »

Been playing more. I cut two peices of bar 2" longer than the standard shock link/bones just to check my measurements before I get my link modded.

Right it now goes all the way down:

And also all the way up:

I was also scratching my head on the hight of the bike, it just did not look right so I mocked it up with the tank seat & pannel.

Too high

A little more tweaking and still a little higher than a standard RD, 5mm @ the front 10mm at the rear but I think its just right:

Now I have it at this stage I cut out the top shock mount ( what a pain in the rear to get the angle grinder in there )

Need to make a new top mount, I havent got a tube bender so a little stuffed at the moment but I will come up with something, did do a mock up of one in box but it looked rubbish, think its got to be tube.

See looks crap, got to be done in tube.
sickboy

Post by sickboy »

Looking sweet mate, keep up the good work!! :D
Everybody is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privledge.
kr1stars
Smoker

Post by kr1stars »

Not much of an update but finaly got all the cones tacked together to check fit, just need each cone seam welded together.
This is my rough set and will be having a new set made when I get these finalised so I can have the cones press braked for better accuracy, they will then fit together alot better which will then make welding them much neater.

As you can see alot of my stuff is in storage in my brothers garage and am realy strugling to get things done or even find anything, but its not far off all mocked up.

scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

nice 'ambitious' project you got going there with some nice ideas and execution, going to look sweet when painted up and finished - (like a special is ever 'properly' finished).
Having wheel spacers made up for my 636 forks as we speak, also going to be fitting an Aprilia RS125 fairing and also going the electronic dash route.

I have had it 4 years and I just cant seem to leave it alone! :roll:
kr1stars
Smoker

Post by kr1stars »

Im hoping to have it rideable this summer to do some shake down tests, winter then full strip and rebuild with alot of tuning.
I would of had this finished in a couple of weeks if only I had not been strugling without a garage and then my stuff going into storage. Well that should all be sorted now in a few weeks as soon as I find a house with a garage. :D

Carnt wait, not ridern a 2t in years.
corky
Oil Injector

Post by corky »

like it :D

how do you get anything done in the garden....its always bloody raining or -5 at mine...

enjoying this thread so keep it coming =D> =D>
kr1s project wanted
aprillia rs125 track bike
03 r6 race/trackbike
dr500 flat tracker project
plus a few more......x7,kdx125 etc
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

what formula's did you use to calculate the exhausts ?
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !