Time for a makeover

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Time for a makeover

Post by DavyB16 »

So since i got the KR all iv done to it really is clean it and looking at how amazing some of you guys' bikes look I think its time to bring mine up to scratch.
So it was a quick wash and going over with the Meguires while it was dry outside.
Rubbed the pipes down and resprayed them. Polished the top yoke and heel plates to a mirror shine. Polished the cans to satin finish. Polished/cleaned engine casing up a bit. Put in a new set DP front pads, changed the gearbox oil and now i have started polishing my wheel rims.

Once the rims are done i'm hopin to start on the frame and ordering a set of the new JL cans form Sean. Im also lookin a steering damper, if anyone has 1 for sale, or knows where i cud get 1 (fitting kit wud also be handy)
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR
http://DavyB16.bebo.com
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

looks rather nice 8)
i wouldnt go over board with the polishing i prefere a few polished bits just to add a bit of sparkle :D

i think the JL cans would look great :D
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Post by DavyB16 »

:D Yea i agree about the polishing, can make a bike look tacky (the reason i didnt wanna go over board with the cans and casings :wink: )but i think a polished frame and rims especially suit the KR and freshens it up
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

nice bike 8) i like polished bits frame, yolks, wheels etc and besides if they are laquered you just have to T cut them a bit occasionally and they always look good without keeping you cleaning :wink:
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

i like polished rims but aint to sure about frames.

the thing i hate about super shiney stuff is that usually they are let down by dirty cruddy bits that are hard to get to and clean.
shock linkages,and bolt heads under the side panels and rear mudgaurd, and the worst thing of all is the coil that covers the
rear brake line,its always bloody rusty and no one ever bothers to do anything about it.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

what did you use to get the mirror finish - a polishing kit? or just
elbow grease?
Smokings Good For You
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Post by DavyB16 »

good old fashioned elbow grease lol couple of grades of wet n dry, autosol and meguires metal polish. had no finger tips for about 2 weeks.
will be using a kit for the frame when i eventually get round to doing it :roll:
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

don't know about S frames but i polished my Kr no problem

took the paint off with stripper and it polished up dead easy
with metal polish - still haven't got the yoke and heelplates
how i want them though :?
Smokings Good For You
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Post by DavyB16 »

yoke took a while but it came up great, heel plates were a bit harder and arent just as shiney as i wud like(yet), also my boots mark them :roll:
Wheels are proving to be the hardest to get right, look great from a distance but still see a few marks when u look close up
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR
RGKR-1S

RYAN N.IRELAND

Post by RGKR-1S »

GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE IN N.IRELAND WITH AN INTEREST IN THESE DAVE. I HAD ONE ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO THEN SOLD IT FOR STUPID MONEY, REALISED THEN IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE I HAD MADE IN MY LIFE EXCEPT GETTIN MARRIED. THEN HUNTED THE COUNTRY TILL I GOT ANOTHER ONE ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO, AND SHES PRETTY TIDY,(GWB). ALWAYS WANTED A BLACK AND GREEN ONE AS WELL SO I ADVERTISED ON EBAY AND GOT ONE UP IN CARRICK, NOT THE TIDIEST BIKE IVE EVER SEEN BY FAR . SO IVE NOW STRIPPED HER TO THE FRAME GETTIN BEAD BLAST AND REPAINTED FROM TOP TO BOTTOM. TOP FAIRING WAS AFTERMARKET AND TO BE HONEST A TOTAL BUNDLE SO IM NOW AFTER A NEW/USED ORIGINAL TOP FAIRING TO PAINT ETC HOPE TO BE READY FOR NEXT SUMMER. ENGINE IS GETTIN SORTED BY A LOCAL MECHANIC, AND BY THE WAY IM FROM PORTADOWN. ALSO NEED NEW END CANS FOR ROAD US E KNOW WERE I CAN GET SOME? CHEERS RYAN. STILL TRYING TO GET PICTURE UPLOADED.
STROKERS AT THEIR LIMIT!
GR/BL KR-1S
GR/WH/BL KR-1S
VJ22 M RGV250 WH/blue
06 50th anniversary r1
08 orange z750
DavyB16
Light Smoker

Post by DavyB16 »

Hey Ryan if want u can email me ur pics and i can host them for u ( jdrb16@hotmail.com). I got my KR as a straight swap for a 400 bandit that was sat in my shed doin nothin. Only ever seen 1 other kr in the flesh here before i got this 1 and since getting it iv seen 4 lol Module are even selling 1 for £1800 atm too :shock:
As for cans, ebay is probably the best bet for originals, id go for a set of the JL cans (which ill be doing after xmas 8) )
Kawasaki KR-1S C3
h***a RVF400 RR