Nurse " It's happening AGAIN"

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Hiya some pics of where i'm heading, ALL just mock up atm, most of the work is unseen > the rear wheel is spot on in the centre of the bike, & I have kept all of the h***a bearings as STD + I have kept the original swing arm spindle adjuster & have the chain aligned aswell.....zxr yokes 636 forks rvf fr wheel s/s spindle
17 inch Delkevic rear wheel
brackets removed

trying to design new brackets ! Always end up looking like Todgers :D not happy with any of them.
Not sure if I'll stick with the polished finish?? . Maybe A little to Pretty :oops:
Problably going to bracket up over, then back down to main frame & not use the original tube mounting every bracket I've mocked up looks like it will let go sometime :shock:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Alan.
Two in every one of us is Schiz-oo phrenic

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Gis the loan of your face I want to worry this rat
wakasaki
Heavy Smoker

Post by wakasaki »

Interesting... :-k

So have you gone off the Idea of an electric start
Aprilia Paddock Bike then.... :lol:

Another work of wonder...from the master crafts man..
Good on ya Alan..... =D>
JAMIE
Oil Injector

Post by JAMIE »

hi alan have`nt seen you in a while was out on the 10R last sunday and passed your`s nearly called in but was pushed for time anyway wished I had bust the rad on my way to alnwick via alnmouth.

i may have a box of bits soon for you as Im rebuilding painting/powdercoating then my KR-1S is for sale having a clearout at the moment fancy a `99 ZX6R lol
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Gary I still don't know the engine yet, should be Kr1s cause i've got three of the bloody things lying :roll: . Alan. :idea: Just thought might get something with a pullcord that would save my leg :? but would give me a big right arm :lol: hang on I already have a big right arm " how the hell have I got that. :oops:

Jamie I thought the Kr1s was your bros, anyway you have'nt got the time to rebuild, unless ????? you've finished the garage. \:D/ Alan
Last edited by alanw on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAMIE
Oil Injector

Post by JAMIE »

Ah it was my bros but somehow Ive ended up with a nipped KR and have `sold` a ZX7R

KR-1S(broke)+ZX6R(broke)+£500(never seen)=ZX7R/9R [-( :-& ](*,)

I stupidly said i was selling to fund the house :-({|=

Any way the house is coming along roof on floors in doors on garage sorted now wiring plastering and staircase to do
i`ll post some pictures soon
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Jamie if your wife ever wants a divorce,,,,, I'll go to Court & speak up on her be-halve.
:lol: Alan.

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

if you are going to fit the rear suspension to the subframe : don't forget to strengthen it, otherwise it can't take the huge forces. have a look in my project how I took care of it :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Jan, I nearly PM'd you regarding the rear brackets just to get your opinion
....I'm still not sure how I'm going to do it but I like your rose joint arrangement =D> .I'll send you some pics when I have something to show I'm hoping to buy an AC/DC Tig welder in the next
month or so then I can fabricate my own stuff . Alan

alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Looking at these brackets again tonight &&&&&&& Red Devils idea with the second bar / pipe across, is starting to look good.

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

if I were you, I'd try this out :

have another triangular part made up and move the pivot-poit from the shock in the direction I poited out.

this gives you folowing advantages :

* the pivot point moves to the rear so you can lean the shock more to the front and thus bring it closer to the main frame

* the shock will move less, so you can/have to use a shorter shock (don't know the length off the one you got now, but a KR-shock is very short, so you might be able to use that one. a shorter shock again brings the mounting point closer to the main frame.

you can trie it out by welding nuts hold together with bars in the desired triangle to see what it does.
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

Hi Jan, your idea could be the way to go :-k ,,,,,,. but until I've exhausted all my ideas with different brackets, I want to avoid changing any of the original geometry. This is why I have kept the original shock which has what seems to be an excessively heavy rated std spring ????? I can't take all of my brackets onto the subframe because I intend removing
most of that :shock: Alan.

ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

I may be wrong here, but there dosn't seem to be much clearence where the shock goes through the swingarm, so tilting the shock like Jan suggested may cause the spring to foul through it's range of motion. :-k
I'd be trying to brace the top mount to 3 seperate points....... to the origonal mount, straight up (as in last pic of brace template), and to the lower part of the subframe.
It's probably overkill, but better than having it snap half way through a high speed sweeper. :shock:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

ScottaKR wrote:I may be wrong here, but there dosn't seem to be much clearence where the shock goes through the swingarm, so tilting the shock like Jan suggested may cause the spring to foul through it's range of motion. :-k
you might be right there. didn't thinck off that when typing my message :wink: and looking at the pictures again, indeed there looks to be very little space to tilt the shock.

it happened to me when redesigning my suspension, so I had to open up the hole in the swingarm.

I understand you want to keep everything original . redesigning the suspension takes lots off work : especialy on the drawing board. But in my case, it was the way to go because the exhaust had to pass through the swingarm to.
alanw
Oil Injector

Post by alanw »

OK Some more pics, the original tube is wrapped with another 4.5mm wall thickness tube & if I go with this type of design it will be fully welded to original tube & the frame. I would like to go with the single sided 30mm bracket so it would clear the L/H carb entrance better ( KR1S engine ! ).
but it does look the weaker of the two & would still need more bracing & steel sleeving. Any thoughts :idea: suggestions. Alan

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

l would definitly go for the double version :!:
looks ok, except maybe for the twisting forces on the tube.

I would ad a brace to stop this twisting (blue). it wouldn't have to be very big I suppose. or weld a second tube through the openings in the frame and through your braces (green)