First Impressions

General queries KR Bikes
dmac
Heavy Smoker

First Impressions

Post by dmac » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:10 am

So, I have begun some limited shakedown tests on the KR1s rebuild known as Pandora.
Comparing it to TDR 250 and RGV vj21L with 22 barrels and pv's and TZR 3ma
Early days and the bike is not finished or fettled yet.

Its very comfortable with a screen that actually keeps some windblast off. Steering not as sharp as I was expecting although I have temporary unsuitable rear tyre. The front fork feels quite soft, must increase preload.
The power builds fairly evenly with an extra whoosh at the magic number - good midrange torque.
I have one tooth lower on front sprocket, but it still seems to have very tall gearing - not half as revy as the RGV.

Seems closer in character to the TZR than the RGV - RGV is very lively in handling and power delivery - KR1s seems like a much better road bike

Just my first impressions from a brief shakedown run.

Any agreements -disagreement -suggestions?

Bugger off to the RGV forum is not a valid suggestion :lol:
I used to be undecided, but now I am not so sure.

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Re: First Impressions

Post by JanBros » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:56 am

can only compare with the RGV (22) on a track : frame/suspension, the RGV is better, allthough the RGV does a stoppie much easier while it didn't feel like it braked harder, don't know why. I prefer the KR engine , has more character and gives a bigger kick in the but when the pipe starts to work. for a 2-stroke, the RGV feels smoother while it has less mid-range.

on the KISS-principle : it's 10 for the KR and 0 for the Soes. a KR is easier to work on than a Wallaroo, Soes is way too complex compared to the KR.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Some new words for me there Jan, not many Wallaroos here :P

Soes = RGV?

Agree on the character of the bike, I think maybe the weight is higher and we sit higher on the RGV leading to the stoppie - and maybe the sharper handling.

KISS does not apply to the RGV - bit of a nightmare to do anything on, could they have crammed any more stuff in there? no room for a midrange :(

JanBros
Premix Junkie

Post by JanBros » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:04 pm

You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Ha -- I googled earlier and got the furry one :lol:

Didn't know it was a H***a!

Makes much more sense now! we never got them over here.

Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:36 pm

dmac wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:10 am

Its very comfortable with a screen that actually keeps some windblast off. Steering not as sharp as I was expecting although I have temporary unsuitable rear tyre. The front fork feels quite soft, must increase preload.
The power builds fairly evenly with an extra whoosh at the magic number - good midrange torque.
I have one tooth lower on front sprocket, but it still seems to have very tall gearing - not half as revy as the RGV.

Seems closer in character to the TZR than the RGV - RGV is very lively in handling and power delivery - KR1s seems like a much better road bike

Bugger off to the RGV forum is not a valid suggestion :lol:
I think that's a pretty reasonable assessment apart from maybe the forks which as you say should be able to improve.

The only comparison I can make it to a VJ21 (250K) I had and a Mk1 RS250. The RGV power valve setup was like an on off switch at 8K which I really liked although it was quite basic. When I rode the RS back to back with the KR1S I'd open the throttle in the midrange and it felt like there was nothing there :shock: . The KR deffo had better rideability.

I personally also prefer the sound of a parallel twin at idle / low revs.
Last edited by Bertie_Mollie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:01 pm

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi all
Phil
Would you believe I was watching that last night!
I would have given 100 thumbs up but I don't have an account.

Your one goes very well, and was well ridden without going bananas - I am only doing short "unofficial" shake down tests at the min, to see what falls off.

Seems to go similar to yours but I haven't got to stretch it's legs fully. It still needs some fine tuning.
I will report back when its ready to go. I have increased the preload to 4 lines showing for now.
I might try raise the rear end slightly too.

Bertie
I think you hit the nail on the head with the on - off RGV power, makes it a flat out or nothing kind of bike.
Anti-social little bugger :lol:

mellorp
Heavy Smoker

Post by mellorp » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 pm

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:06 pm

I may have been a little hard on the KR1s

I had tested it around the country lanes and had to be conscious of my neighbours. It had an ancient 160 rear tyre that had a screw in it - I did tighten it before each test run! Fitted an old but correct profile tyre now.

Got it out for a proper run today - I like it a lot :lol:

Did have that uncomfortable feeling that I was forgetting something, I suppose that's normal after a rebuild.

The long gearing disappears when you get a bit of speed up, The front fork is much better with the additional pre load, Brakes are fairly powerful with new pads all round. It is comfy enough with a great midrange.

Much nicer road bike than the RGV. 4th 5th and 6th seem very close together, just a matter of getting use to it.

Early days still, need to adjust the pilot air screws, a bit stuttery on part throttle - too rich I think.

Need to get some decent mileage on it and fettel the few small issues, looking promising now 8)

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:31 am

leaned out the pilot screws and it's running much cleaner below 5K now.

That bap bap bap bap stuttery thing, just off closed throttle is not grovey - all good now.

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:39 am

mellorp wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:01 pm
How does it go compared to this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMvJTqZ ... 3vBjXhjilg
Very similar to your bike now Phil - It reassuring to see and hear another one used on the road, I would be surprised if I see another KR1s on my local roads.

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Got more miles clocked up today

Good bits, Gear change is sweet - it goes very well - sounds great - nothing fell off

Bad bits, Cant see right hand indicator idiot light, Find it easier to look to the right of the fluid resivor to see if it is on - important when you have to stop to turn with traffic behind.

Oil tank filler location - poorly positioned - not easy to pour in 2 stroke oil from left or right hand side.
wouldn't like to top up outside on a windy day.

That's all that stood out today - trivial stuff- really starting to get to grips with it now.

c&c
Smoker

Post by c&c » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:05 pm

That bike would go faster with my barrels..( joke )..
Looks fantastic ,fair play to you...
I had a chance to be insane , asylum from the pouring rain..

dmac
Heavy Smoker

Post by dmac » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Still getting used to the KR1s, It's great to hear the KR1s overtaking on full throttle - what a sound! TDR was worked hard to (Try to) keep up. Great fun swapping between bikes :P