Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
Coose
Smoker

Re: Another newbie, never owned a KR before now but not a stranger to them....

Post by Coose » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Modding the standard head is also in the back of my mind, though losing the gasket will tighten the squish even further so I'll need to measure my squish and compare my head to another that I know is stock (a mate has a couple).
Though, with the billet head any mods could be accounted for...

I'll see how Sunday goes and take a view from there. Hopefully the KR will behave itself impeccably! 8)

JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:23 am

stock squish is always way too big. set it at 0.8mm (paralel to piston) and it will be very safe and have proper effect. you can go down to minimum 1% of stroke for race engines, but those come apart regularly to check everything.

certainly no need at all to go above 1mm with only 50.6mm stroke.
You know it's cold outside when you trip over dog shit instead of standing in it.

Coose
Smoker

Post by Coose » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:12 am

It'll be interesting to see what clearance mine is running now as I noticed the other week that there are three base gaskets under each barrel, and when I had the head off the squish band on the pistons was nice and clean.

Again, I'll take a view and some measurements once Cadwell is out of the way.
Watch this space!

Coose
Smoker

Post by Coose » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:58 pm

Cadwell went very well. The motor didn't miss a beat and took a proper pasting, though it did start weeping oil from the inner left-hand gearbox cover again but I have the bits on the way to cure that.

The forks need a good dose of looking at and I have a wonky front disc but have replacements en route.

Unfortunately there were no photos of Mark and my KRs in the same photo, but if you can excuse my rubbish phone photoshop this was about the best I could do before I lost interest...

Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:21 am

Glad it all went well for you

Coose
Smoker

Post by Coose » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:38 am

Why thank you. 8)
Once I've cleared my tax bill this month I shall get the two-dayer in September at Cadwell booked. I have a few things to do before then, but all good.

The new radiator worked well - the temperature stayed rock-solid at a reasonable level. I'm tempted to change to a thermocouple with a graduated gauge as it's nice to know what is actually happening.

Coose
Smoker

Post by Coose » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:49 pm

So, this week a new set of standard ZXR400 forks arrived (thanks Mark), and this morning a good set of standard discs. Today was spent fitting them....

It's pretty evident as to what was the problem causing the brake judder. It's a shame as these are cast iron discs...

Tonight I managed a test ride, and it now does what I'd expect it to. I have to say that the forks are better than I expected, but I think I'll still send the old ones back to Maxton to see what's wrong.
It's a shame that the next track day probably won't be until Cadwell in September...