REPAIRING KIPS VALVE STEMS

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
Marty_Rillo
Heavy Smoker

Re: REPAIRING KIPS VALVE STEMS

Post by Marty_Rillo »

this is a genius idea!
have you kicked the bike into life with this yet!?
cheers martin
MarkW1966

Post by MarkW1966 »

Have you tried to fit the operating arms?

I thought the ends of the valves were slightly narrower.
MarkW1966

Post by MarkW1966 »

350S2 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:23 pm Since plastic drinking straws are not allowed to be sold in EU (and suppose in UK as well?) there are lots of alternatives. For instance stainless steel drinking tubes. The medium size has an outside diameter of 8mm, which happens to be the same as the stems of our KIPS valves…..

I thought: let’s give it a try and bought a set for a few euros. Found a guy who machined my tortured KIPS stems down to 7,2mm and placed the stainless steel sleeves on them.

Before:

Now:

At the moment my bike is stil completely in parts so I can’t give you a review of this mod for some time. But thought it would be nice to share.

Greetings from The Netherlands

Have you tried fitting the operating arms?

I thought the valves were machined narrower at the end.
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

MarkW1966 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:36 pm Have you tried fitting the operating arms?

I thought the valves were machined narrower at the end.
no they are not
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
350S2

Post by 350S2 »

MarkW1966 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 pm Have you tried to fit the operating arms?

I thought the ends of the valves were slightly narrower.
You have a point Mark!

Had to take a 8mm drill to make the holes in the wheels / arms slightly bigger. Even after that the valves did not fit, I think the stainless straws are about 8,05mm. After taking the drill a few times up and down, all the wheels and arms did fit.

At the moment all the silver parts, like the frame and swingarm, are at the painter and I really don’t know when he will be ready. So it might take some time before the engine will run and I can say more about this mod.