gp look

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

gp look

Post by spannerman »

so as you may know if youve looked at kr1s pipes in chit chat i have some clearance issues with pipes and bellypan combination, while i try to solve that however heres the tail section. constructive critisism is very welcome also some ideas for paint could be usefull

on the pipe!!!
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

seat looks quite a good fit - what's it off? can you still fit the original
riders seat pad?

only thing is i think it would look better without the passenger footrest
frame-rails - so i would cut them off (drastic i know #-o ) and make
some new exhaust brackets
Smokings Good For You
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

its off a 2004/2005 h***a rsw 250 gp as far as i can see the bike there still running this year!
the rails are going to come off and the origional seat pad is on it however the seat pad looks a bit small in real life.
think the cans need replacing or shortening by about 100mm to look a bit better, im open to suggestions.
ade.
on the pipe!!!
KR1 Man
Oil Injector

Post by KR1 Man »

KR1 Man calling Spannerman, that looks lovely. Bought a basket case 1-s 3 yrs ago which had been fitted with Gibsons. Previous owner had cut the bellypan underneath, fabricated an ally plate and pop rivited it so as to push the sides of bellypan apart somewhat; I did'nt even notice it at first. By the way, cans: on mine I filed away the welds and did away with the mounting brackets completley, had the marks filled/ rubbed down and the polisher made such a nice job, nothing to show any mounting brackets had been there at all; no running problems have been experienced either. Hope this helps. Best regards, KR1 Man.
RD350 LC YPVS. Also grandson Declan's KR1 with ZXR black/purple paintjob/ KR1-s upgrades and max polishing
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

some seat units seem to finish too short of the back of the bike (this
one doesn't) so then the pipes look too long-
so i would leave them
Smokings Good For You
KR1 Man
Oil Injector

Post by KR1 Man »

KR1 Man calling, Must agree, just do the cans how I suggested, they'll look gorgeous with a mirror finish, polished to perfection. Best regards, KR1 Man.
RD350 LC YPVS. Also grandson Declan's KR1 with ZXR black/purple paintjob/ KR1-s upgrades and max polishing
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

cheers for the advice guys the bellypan your right the way to go is to split it just tried it on test mule i had origionally thought that the way would be to have the spannies potruding through the sides slightly but they looked crap so these will be glassed up a the pan opened up at the bottom 50/60mm should get it, will post pics of front and belly pan shortly
cheers
ade.
on the pipe!!!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

The RSW seat seems to fit on the subrframe quite well, although I am not too sure about the exposed section betweeen the tank and seat. I think its difficult to get a modern looking seat to look nice on a KR as there is too much subframe in the way, if your not going to take passengers, I would suggest cutting it back. I have nearly finished my 4th incarnation of my KR - soon to be revealed, I think its my best so far, but then a mother will always think her child is pretty :P

Good luck and keep up the spirit of innovation!
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

cheers for the feedback guys / girls obviously all inspiration has come from this site pleased you are beeing as kind i understand that opinions and points of view will vary, however the mockup is moved on a bit further things need fabricating and finalising still well up for ideas and paint options . race rep/ retro, or something completely off the wall. who knows.

on the pipe!!!
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

oh yeah - like the fairing, did it take much modding to get it to fit?

I see you made some mockup seat sections, I modded my new seat to match the tank with modelers plasticard bonded to the seat with bodypanel adhesive. Plasticard is quite easy to work with, forms well with heat and easy to cut, fill and sand.
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

still need to sort out a lot of stuff but hopeing to have it up and running in a week or so brake resevoirs need repositioning top fairing mount and a bit more cut and shut.
slight modding to subframe as i think you did scooble (frame rails and a little trimming of the end of the sub frame). but not to bad all in all.
still waiting on the sceen
ade.
on the pipe!!!
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

looks good, except the front off the nose is too high :-k
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
KR-1R
Premix Junkie

Post by KR-1R »

man thats what I call RAM AIR

but as Jan says... need to cut and shut/channel the fairing a little - remove an inch or two strip along the middle.

looks like you got an eight inch bog roll when 4" is plenty - with suspension fully compressed (or forks dropped completely for mockup) you should aim to have near zero clearance above the front mudguard/fender

personally I like the silencers on the standard/long length you can get away with shorter ones if the diameter is reduced - we all know how much better -1S tailpipes look compared to the bloaters on the -1
spannerman
Heavy Smoker

Post by spannerman »

good call jan
sort of thought that but was looking for confirmation, thats the good thing about this you need people to tell you if your barking up the wrong alley
any suggestions on paint? anyone
ade.
on the pipe!!!
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

looking good there m8y so far................considering your fairing and seat unit you,consider the paint scheme below..........was going to do it on my kr,but the 'soft' lines of the fairing and big single seat unit i have it didn't quite look right,but would suit your sharp angles a treat in my opinion.............

'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........