Progress, at last!

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Howie,

If it turns out that it isn't terminal and you need a flywheel and pickup coil let me know as I have them here in good condition.

Cheers

Andrew
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks, appreciate the offer. I'll let you know!

Howie
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

It don't look good!

Post by Howie »

Right, got the bugger off! After filing the rotor core back to round(ish) I found that even with the correct tool, it still wouldn't come off :roll:
So, applied heat, wouldn't come off, applied swearing, wouldn't come off. So what you see here is a drilled & therefore useless lump of scrap metal (possibly :-k ) At least it enabled me to get to the last of the crank case bolts. Ok, the good news is the crank is bloody well alright, even the seals still seem pliable, however, look at this!
The case plating is coming away, I'm assuming this has been caused by the crank flywheel bearing onto it? Any ideas people? Do I get this re-plated or do I just seal the damage & pretend I didn't see it?

Now i'm no expert on KR1 engines but i'm pretty sure the gear boxes are not suppose to fall apart when you remove them? Should these have snapclips or circlips or the like to keep them togther?

Summing up, this engine has been looked after by a banana deprived monkey with a blind fold on, but (& its a big but) I'm sure I can save it. Just puts my plans back a few months, easy come easy go! It_Kr1 is right about allowing certain people access to tools, hang em all is what I say :lol:

The more we can restore/repair, the more there will be for other enthusiasts, how GREEN is that eh? And they say that two strokes are bad for the environment bah!

Howie
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Re: It don't look good!

Post by JanBros »

Howie wrote:however, look at this!
The case plating is coming away, I'm assuming this has been caused by the crank flywheel bearing onto it? Any ideas people? Do I get this re-plated or do I just seal the damage & pretend I didn't see it?
nothing wrong there . all cases have some off that. it's just where metal parts are inserted in the casted aluminium. if you look closely at the aluminium, you'll find out that there are no "broken marks" :wink:
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

That pic looks like it has had a smear of JB Weld or something
Is that grey area metal or filler ?
Can it yer old boiler
SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Hi I thought it was just molten aluminium, but you could be right, hard to say without seeing/feeling it, looks like something's been whirring round where it shouldn't ??? someone opened the cases with a screwdiver as well?? Without seeing the actual cases I would file everything off, that could possibly brake/fall off into a rotating crank/bearing/piston etc etc.
All I could say was well done for not riding it around first. =D>
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

I'd agree with JanBros, nothing abnormal about that. The cases have inserts which don't melt when the aluminium case metal is injected around them, so where it is thinnest it can flake off.

You can see if there are anyother bits likely to flake off before you put it back together, and remove them with a dremel or similar. I wouldn't worry too much about the surface here, it is close to the bearing which creates loads of turbulence anyway, so smoothing it over with Devcon or JB weld won't make a difference unless you are building an out and out racer.

This should help with how the gearox should look....

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/ ... 1_d6bb.gif

Cheers
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Thanks everyone, that has put my mind at rest!

Cases have definately been apart before (blue gasket sealant here & there). I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of broken ring has been whizzing about the crank as there is also some minor damage to the opposite side to which you can see in the photo.

Still at least it means I can crack on with tarting up the engine now :D

Where did I put the paint stripper?

Howie
250 drummie
Heavy Smoker

Post by 250 drummie »

Someone has really done a number on that motor, good luck with the rebuild.
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

Hi i have yet to strip my motors but i have 2 of them an s and a 1, 1 of the barrels on the s is shaggged a right trench in it but i believe they can weld re hone then replate, but wouldn't worry about them casings clean them up they'll be fine, as long as there are no cracks then crack on cheers wayne.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Paints off!

Post by Howie »

[img][img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy28 ... /001-2.jpg[/img]
Got the black paint off :)

I think it was just Holts or something, definately not 2pack or HT paint. Who ever painted it, didn't bother to clean the engine first, you could see the road crap & grease under the paint in places :lol:

Anyway, next stage is to give it a quick sand blast, then a clear coat (depending on the finish)
Can anyone recommend a high temp clear lacquer?

Howie
smithyrc30
Heavy Smoker

Post by smithyrc30 »

I wouldn't go sand blasting them, the finish is too rough. Aqua blasting gives a much better finish and is less dangerous to your cases.

In my experience those high temp paints are neither high temp or paint.... They seem to only work ok on steel, aluminum requires an etch primer to make them work, and that generally makes them fall off.

I'd get them done in clear epoxy or powder coated by someone who knows what they are doing.
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Unfortunately funds are low at the mo, so sending them off to be aqua blasted really isn't an option :( Otherwise I would, oh yes!

What I have found though is, playsand! The stuff you can get from all good toy stores to fill the kids sand pit etc etc

A Few years back I wanted something that would strip paint from a plastic panel but not leave too much in the way of finishing work. Obviously paint stripper was out of the question as by the time it started work on the paint, the plastic was on its way too :lol:

So after experimenting with different blast medium & at different pressures I just happened to think about maybe using playsand, I mean how abrasive can that be, its for kids!
Stripped the panel I had (ok, took ages but hey ho) didn't leave any damage & I've been using it ever since on delicate bits.

Although I have to admit, my experience of clear coat is pretty much the same except it doesn't fall off but it just turns a sh***y yellow colour. Its all fun this restoring lark in'it? :lol:

Howie
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

O.k despite the fun weather I have been mainly rebuilding the engine. As you can see I have not gone for the aqua blasting on my cases :lol: I just want the bugger on the road soon, very soon!
[/img]Image

I've even started to skip the BZP (note the output shaft) This bike will not win any concours medals but hey ho, a bike on the road is worth two in the bush or something(?)
And just for Charles,
A snowman (daughter just for scale purposes)

Howie[/img]
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I would just get some autosol or something on the cases.
That's all i did with my LC cases.
Paint stripper/Gunk/autosol/elbow grease/newspaper
newspaper is great for rubbing on the surface to get the crap off
viewtopic.php?t=3126&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
I too think that bead or aqua blasting leaves little pit marks in the metal :?
Good snowman or is it snowperson in our political correct times :roll:
Last edited by headcoats on Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Can it yer old boiler