Hmm... maybe a bit of work needed...

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Gonzohop
Heavy Smoker

Hmm... maybe a bit of work needed...

Post by Gonzohop »

Firstly a big hello to everyone - new here and this is my first post. Thought I'd show you the KR I've just took on, maybe rather foolishly, but when I saw it I could have wept. It was crying out for me to restore it. It was originally owned by my neighbour who just brought it down from his previous address where it had been sat for over ten years, unloved. He was more than happy for me to take it off his hands. As you can see, there's not much which doesn't need attention and I'm busily buying parts for it as we speak. Thanks to Rockerted for the fairing kit already! In fact, he introduced me to the forum so he's to blame.

I had an S 16 years ago which I have bitter/sweet memories of. Sweet because of that exhaust note and that whole 2-stroke experience and bitter coz she was a slappy b***h who ended her life in the throes of one, and nearly mine with it. So I'm kinda looking forward to reliving my youth! With a steering damper...

So anyway, hope you like the pics and I'll post some up later of progress and the finished article.

:P

Last edited by Gonzohop on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john-b
Oil Injector

Post by john-b »

wow someone else that saves things regardless :shock: , i thought it was only me :lol: Welcome aboard you have come to the right place if you need anything help and advice,parts or just somewhere to moan :lol:. keep us posted on your progress
I wish i knew something about KR's so i was like knowledgeable about them and everything like what you lot are ;-) :-) :-)
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

oooooof! you are a braver man than I, welcome aboard
Cheers
AL
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

I would be tempted to find another and use that one for parts. I wish you luck with it, how did it get in that state i wonder?
SHimmer45
Premix Junkie

Post by SHimmer45 »

nice to see people resucing KR's :D
i hope it doesnt turn into a money put
94 GPz500S
KR1-S Project
KR1 donor
Gonzohop
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gonzohop »

I was wondering the same thing, Cliff. I mean, who sits there watching their pride and joy disintegrate... so I asked him. Turns out the bike was stolen from his garden and returned a wreck - hence the lack of fairing, exhausts etc. He was so upset (he'd just had the barrels done!) that he threw it in his back garden before setting off to Oz as a diving instructor with his sister. He comes back a year later, bike deteriorating rapidly. He couldn't face fixing it up so left it - literally for years. Poor thing. I'm not kidding, there's not piece of plastic which isn't broken, anywhere. The whole thing was a spiders nest - I took the left switch cluster apart - about 100 of the little blighters dropped out onto me.

Bizarrely, my friend has a broken KR in his garage which he neglected to tell me about. "Ooh, you've got a KR Rich! I've got loads of bits you could have!". Heh heh. So that's donating a lot so far.

Frame is a away being polished. Swingarm is dead - seems the chain came off during it's joyride and has mangled it along with most of the plastics directly above it.

Most nuts and bolts are siezed. I had to cut the front disc (yes, just one!) off.

Still, keeps me busy in the quiet winter months.... :D
RGKR-1S

Post by RGKR-1S »

Good luck mate, welcome aboard. Nice to see them getting restored, although as cliff says, that might be one gone to far but prove us all wrong. Good luck with the project . Hope to see pics soon.
Eventually found the caps lock key!
STROKERS AT THEIR LIMIT!
GR/BL KR-1S
GR/WH/BL KR-1S
VJ22 M RGV250 WH/blue
06 50th anniversary r1
08 orange z750
kinkyfreestyler
Heavy Smoker

Post by kinkyfreestyler »

go for it :) ,it's worth it for the few hundred miles you'll do a year :D

there madder than any other road bike you can buy now or in the past
:D :D

go on i dare someone to argue that point :lol: :lol:

good luck with the rebuild .I'm STILL building mine :oops:(my second :D ) go for a black frame or powder coat it silver to polish takes a........l........o........n........g t......i....m.......e :D
s**t happens get over it
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

good to see another being put back on the road :)

if you've got the plastics thats half the battle - you should be able
to get the other bits with a bit of searching
Smokings Good For You
Gonzohop
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gonzohop »

Hi all

Well, it's only been 2.5 years in the making but the old girl is nearly finished...

Thought I'd throw out a couple of taster pics for you and when she's complete (probably by the end of the week), I'll post a barrage of pics!

I must say she's looking fantastic - fired up first time. Can't wait to test ride her... maybe tomorrow... :D

Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Wow, that's a shiny engine! =D> =D>

Who did the aquablasting?

Looking forward to seeing the finished bike.

cheers,
Charles
Last edited by Charles on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
666damned
Oil Injector

Post by 666damned »

top job so far m8y............ =D> =D> ....looking forward to seeing the end result
'So,who's paranoid'.........The Damned's new album,released 10/11/2008 or available to d/load from...'officialdamned.com .....go on treat yourself........
Gonzohop
Heavy Smoker

Post by Gonzohop »

All the aqua-blasting & polishing was done by a very nice chap called Steve who owns/runs Phoenix Metal Finishers in Poole, Dorset. Highly recommended and great rates... :D
Bertie_Mollie
Premix Junkie

Post by Bertie_Mollie »

Richard,

That engine would make a fantastic ornament. Gotta get one for my lounge :lol:

That is looking really good 8)

Cheers

Andrew
GWB KR1s C2 - Now gone :-(
GWB KR1 - YES IT'S DONE!
ZXR400L PROJECT :shock:
AND NO S****Y H****A'S

Usque Ad Mortem Bibendum
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

thats a totally stunning restoration job you have done there - congratulations, well done =D>