I've missed her sooo much

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

I've missed her sooo much

Post by Jnaus »

So after 8 years of sitting in a shed in country Victoria, it's about time to blow the dust off and start a rebuild.
I bought my 1991 Kr1-S in 2000. She was fairly used and abused, but I loved her all the same.
I rode her as a daily commuter for 2 years, being in my early 20's at the time I had no idea of the maintenance required for a 2 stroke and eventually blew the top end in a very major way. :cry:
My girlfriend at the time(now my wife) thought it was a bad idea for me to continue my two wheeled adventures and canned the idea of fixing my baby. ](*,)
But now after years of begging, pleading and crying muted tears in to my pillow my wife has granted me permission to bring my baby back from the dead.
So once I get off my arse and go and get her, I'll be asking you guys many stupid questions and buying bits off here to be shipped to the convict country.
Gordi
Heavy Smoker

!!

Post by Gordi »

Good luck! You're onto a great site! They're a great bunch of "enthusiasts". Honestly could not have completed my project Yamasaki without them. Not at all like that crowd of anal retards in the RD aircooled club.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Good job mate. Yeah, they do need a bit of extra attention, but by god they're fun. :twisted:
There's a growing number of us aussies finding this great site nowdays, so you may not need to get too much shipped down. Your biggest expense is going to be getting the barrels re-plated and that crank rebuilt since it's had a major top-end sieze and many years sitting for the crank seals to go hard as well.
Be sure to post up some pics of the rebuild as we all love a bit of vouyerism on here. 8-[ :lol:
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

I'm picking her up a week from Sunday. Had to grab a ute from work.
It's a 10 hour round trip.
headcoats
Avgas Sniffer

Post by headcoats »

I thought you Ozzies were hard ba##ards :shock:
Tell the Sheila who's boss :lol:
Can it yer old boiler
rhyde

Re: I've missed her sooo much

Post by rhyde »

sell it to me please

im in vic too
so it will be easy for us
buy yourself a new ride..... u deserve it

Jnaus wrote:So after 8 years of sitting in a shed in country Victoria, it's about time to blow the dust off and start a rebuild.
I bought my 1991 Kr1-S in 2000. She was fairly used and abused, but I loved her all the same.
I rode her as a daily commuter for 2 years, being in my early 20's at the time I had no idea of the maintenance required for a 2 stroke and eventually blew the top end in a very major way. :cry:
My girlfriend at the time(now my wife) thought it was a bad idea for me to continue my two wheeled adventures and canned the idea of fixing my baby. ](*,)
But now after years of begging, pleading and crying muted tears in to my pillow my wife has granted me permission to bring my baby back from the dead.
So once I get off my arse and go and get her, I'll be asking you guys many stupid questions and buying bits off here to be shipped to the convict country.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
rhyde

Re: I've missed her sooo much

Post by rhyde »

sell it to me please

im in vic too
so it will be easy for us
buy yourself a new ride..... u deserve it

Jnaus wrote:So after 8 years of sitting in a shed in country Victoria, it's about time to blow the dust off and start a rebuild.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Haha, I kept it for 8 years in the hope that one day I could rebuild it.
Now that she has finally agreed I'm not gonna give up yet.
But I'm going to need a full gasket/ seal kit if anyone knows of somewhere you can buy them. As well as new/ good pipes. Oh pistons, rings and the exhuast valve set up or a complete head.
I asked a guy yesturday to repaint my fairings in Toyota Crystal Pearl, he tried to talk me out of rebuilding the KR1 and into buying his RG250.
That's just the stuff I needed when it went into storage, so who knows now.
I've recruited to mechanics into the rebuild, one of them is coming up to Hamilton with me to pick it up.
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

So I drove up to Hamilton (5 hours), to pick her up.
Turns out 3 years ago some bright spark (my mum) decided to put her outside, cos she was in the way. So now she rooted, engine was full of water and every bolt is rusted some of it is salvagable but I think I'll have to buy a wreck and try and make up a bike.
She's home now but I'm shattered :cry:
I took a photo will post it later
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Man, that's really gotta hurt.
Sounds pretty bad, but I'm sure she'll be somewhat salvagable once you start to strip it back and clean off the crud (hopefully anyways). You should be able to get most of the bits you can't salvage through here, just let us know what you need.
KR1 Red/White
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

The frame and fairings are ok of course, and the instuments and fairing mounts look ok. Wheels, swing arm and so on are ok. But the top end was taken off prior to storage, so sitting outside the bottom end was FULL of water.
I'm looking on the net now for a running wreck or engine. There was a streetfighter on ebay in Sydney but thats gone. ](*,)
I just cant believe they would put it out in the weather...... I seriously almost cried :-({|=
Gonna start stripping it down over the net couple of days.
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Sorry so small off my iPhone
Last edited by Jnaus on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

:( Yeah, a gut full of water for the last 3 years aint going to have done that engine any favours. I don't have a complete running engine spare, but may be able to sort you a rebuildable bottom end, or at least enough internals to replace anything rotten in yours.

P.S. Is that a pair of KR1 pipes I see hanging off it? :?
KR1 Red/White
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Haha. They are KR1 pipes, some friendly dick messed up my KR1S pipes not long before I blew her up, I didn't have the cash at the time for new ones so bought these from a wrecker in Collingwood. #-o
New pipes were on the to do list in the rebuild. Said list is about 8 pages longer now.
Might hit you up for that bottom end if I have no luck finding an engine.
I was just going through the box of top end bits...... there was a red back nest in one of the barrels :roll:
Jnaus
Heavy Smoker

Post by Jnaus »

Started stipping her down. Was very surprised to find the gear set in perfect condition.
I'm a bit worried I wont remember where everything goes! But I'm picking up the bike I bought off eBay tomorrow so that should be a good guide as to where everything belongs. 8-[
My dad put his hand up to do some painting so I will be shipping both sets of fairings and both tanks up to him for repainting, sticking with factory colours.
Also bought another wiring loom off eBay.... no idea why but might come in handy :roll:
I used some work contacts to organise seat retrimming.. quite cheap $120AU for new leather and foam for both seats.
Don't cry :cry:
Still had milling marks on it \:D/
Last edited by Jnaus on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.