Dans KR1S

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
hego66
Light Smoker

Dans KR1S

Post by hego66 »

Alright Chaps
I`m not going to put any finished pics up as i need your help to finish it!
Ive took a good few pictures of parts that need reconditioning ive ordered new fasteners where possible but things like engine mounting bars etc that are tatty im not sure how i get them back to the original finish.
Also the fork bottoms are crashed damaged so without painting them they`ll never be original please be picky as this is my first restoration and a lot of you guys are better at it than me :-)
Could only get a fibreglass fairing :-(
Still after Nice original bars and clamps
My friend has an aqua blaster so i`m able to clean Alloy up lovely but i`m not sure what the original finish would be on the rear sets etc can anyone please shed some light on this?

I`m going to repaint all the calipers anybody know a good colour match? Also the rear caliper mounting bracket is tatty are these painted originally or should i powder coat it?!!
Im going to borrow another swingarm and get it powder coated the same as the frame as this polished one looks wack. Ill put new bolts in the chain adjusters and i`ve ordered a new Wheel nut and washer but cant get a spindle...
Spannies are currently matt black but i`m going to but some heat proog lacquer to shine them similar to the originals.
What i`d do for a new spindle!
All advice welcome fellas i want to do a proper job on this.
Dan
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Dan the bike looks to be in non too shabby nick.The fasteners look ok but if you wanted you could get them re electroplated along with the engine mounting bolts,spindles etc.I got all the fasteners brackets done for £35.

The handlebars and fork bottoms seem to be your biggest problems,but I'm sure you'll be able to get them.

I used PJ1 satin on the caliper mounting bracket and sprocket carrier.There's a ford colour I think it's oyster gold thats a good colour match for the calipers,but with the stuff I used a whiff of brake fluid and it's off.Let me know if you find owt better.I'm not 100% happy with mine.

Looks like a nice enough bike Dan,good luck.
"Turned out nice again"
mgtkr1
Premix Junkie

Post by mgtkr1 »

nice job mate, just needs someone quick enough to get the best from it!!....
hego66
Light Smoker

Post by hego66 »

Quick update....
I now have sourced a genuine top fairing in tatty condition so in time i`ll get that painted up and ready to go on.
I painted and reconned my calipers
have sourced and had powdercoated another swingarm Thanks to Mark Jordan and a few odds and sods inc KR1s handlebar mounts.
Had some original looking bars made up by sprint engineering
took a bucket load to get re electroplated
got another bucket load to go for aqua blasting.
Had some new exhaust to silencer flanges made to fit the new silencers on from TYGA performance through ebay.
more pics will come again in the new year

SP_BOTT
Oil Injector

Post by SP_BOTT »

Nice caliper restoration, what paint did you use, or was it powder in the end?? and good job on the exhaust flanges, look factory finish to me, worth the extra effort to shape them to the Tygas.
hego66
Light Smoker

Post by hego66 »

Thanks mate,
Ah well, I`m cheating...
the pics are of them after i painted them and heat proof lacquered them in the cold workshop looked great but the laquer wouldnt set and i kept marking them i dont know if i was supposed to bake them or wat!
So i`ve now too them for powdercoating!
Thanks for the compliment on the flanges!
I originally built the bike before coming on here and what some of you boys have done is very inspiring and has taught me loads!
I`m only 24 and my first restoration never reralised i could get so into it!
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

hego66 wrote: my first restoration never reralised i could get so into it!

It's infectious Dan.Keep up the good work =D>
"Turned out nice again"
500bernie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by 500bernie »

Nice job Dan =D>

Pm Sent

Cheers,
Bernie :D
Firecracker Red and Grey C3 300
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

Ah well, I`m cheating...
I'm all for cheating hego :lol:
I`m only 24 and my first restoration never reralised i could get so into it!
You're doing a fantastic job fella, new career move :-k
hego66
Light Smoker

Post by hego66 »

Top yoke aqua blasted and laquered.
Had 2 new bars made by sprint engineering and had the holders blasted too.
Ordered some more exhaust hangars with more clearance i just googled 60mm p clips and im hoping theyll do the job the current ones are just touching the rear hangers.

Also had a lot zinc plate and some parts done olive drab too.

Genuine exhaust nuts i got with the bike!
Painted and vht lacquered the exhausts same with rad.

Please see my wanted post to see what parts i still need and i'll need them in good nick too please reconditioning things is hard work!
Howie
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Howie »

reconditioning things is hard work!
Yes it is but don't you just love it when you take a crusty piece of metal, spend an hour or so on it & it still looks like a crusty piece of metal, so you spend another hour on it & it ends up looking like it just left the factory (or better :wink: )

I think you're doing a fantastic job, cannot wait to see the finished bike :D
pablo
Premix Junkie

Post by pablo »

Top job. =D>
"Turned out nice again"
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

:D yep ,reconditioning bikes is so zenish at times ,its 1 thing in the wourld where what we do ,we can see the difference ,nice thread .you have just persuaded me to powdercoat my brakes (maybe allocrome if i can still get it)
hego66
Light Smoker

Post by hego66 »

Tambo
Heavy Smoker

Post by Tambo »

=D> =D> Nice work Hego. The quality of restoration keeps getting higher on here.

Notice you've got a nice straight fairing bracket (very rare) - any chance you could measure the width ? Also, can you tell me how the fairing nut sits in relation to the frame mounts ? I think it's meant to be centred, in line with the frame mounts bolts, but mine are so twisted it's hard to tell :roll: :?

Keep the pics coming.

Tommy
Kr1s c3, vfr750fg, Dnepr MT11, Pegaso 650