Smokey Smokey

Twangled your powervalve grommit in your woodruff key? ask someone how to fix it here
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Smokey Smokey

Post by sacko »

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction. Bought my first bike (KR1S) in Allstars paint one on the day I passed my test (last week). My problem is that when I bought it the right hand side seemed not to be doing much so I got to work balancing the tickover on the carbs and setting up the cables. I am OK on cars but this is the first 2 stroke I have worked on :? . I seem to have a problem with excessive smoke from the right hand cylinder and I do mean smoke screen :oops: . I have changed the plugs and although only tested with fingers I seem to have compression in both cylinders can I have set anything up wrong or can the oil pump be putting in too much 2 stroke oil or am I on to my first strip down and new rings :roll:

Any help would be much appreciated

Payl
cardiffcarl
Smoker

Post by cardiffcarl »

What colour is the smoke?
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

crankseals gone
cardiffcarl
Smoker

Post by cardiffcarl »

Thats what I was thinking...ouch! :cry:
Red Devil 777
Premix Junkie

Post by Red Devil 777 »

Ouch is right, expensive job, just had mine done.
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Thanks for the advice :shock: anyway I just wondered because if I give it a good thrashing it seems to clear completely and run well for a while but then when I let the revs drop it seems to start to choke up again :cry:
I found a posting from the old forum which was to do with the float level in one of the carbs so I might swap them over and see if it smokes from the other side. Failing that it may be the first of many calls to Stan Stephens. Should I get the top end redone while its there :?: also is this where everyone uses :?:
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Just checked it out swapping the carbs also notice gearbox oil is low so must be crank seals how much approx and where should I get it done :?
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Might be worth (if you havent already) cleaning out carbs (set float heights), checking and aligning power valve linkage, refilling gear oil and coolant, checking reeds.

I haven't had a crank rebuilt yet but if I wasn't going to shop around then Stan would be the man, there are a few places around the country I think. Sorry can't tell you any, I would go with recomended/experienced people quality is important.

Top end - if you've got decent compression and can see no scoring etc. through the ex ports then might be OK. You would have to take off the cyl head at least to measure the wear on barrels, if you knew the pistons had done near 10,000 miles it would be worth putting new ones in. Its all down to budget, money can be saved against a total rebuild.
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Thanks as I had no gearbox oil I am sure it must be the crank seals I phoned SEP at Kegworth and they will be able to rebuild the crank for me and check everything else they are very close so I will use them
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

That'll probly be the quickest, does take time to cover everything yourself even though its all easy to work at. A fresh start is good as well.
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

I knew I would have to get a rebuild at some time just had hoped it would have lasted the summer :lol: ah well good job I like taking things apart :wink:
alimorg
Site Admin

Post by alimorg »

sacko wrote:ah well good job I like taking things apart :wink:
Thats the bit I like as well, its the putting back together that gets me every time!!!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
boredus
Heavy Smoker

Post by boredus »

Yeah Sako that was what happened to mine. Right cylinder too. I had just a full topend rebuild so it was really bad timing for me! Make sure they replace the bearings balance it properly and check the conrods while they are all out.
sacko
Heavy Smoker

Post by sacko »

Well sent it to SEP in Kegworth quite close to me. They said they would give a full quote before they do anything so I will make sure thanks for the advice.

I must have the cleanest KR-1s frame in the world hope the engine is back soon :lol:
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Sacko, Where abouts do you live? I'm working (actually sat typing this) at Ratcliffe Power Station ATM so I can't be that far away from where you live?