help stator testing

Dodgy Kips motor? CDI? battery? diode? reg/rect? its all gobbledygook to me but some people understand it ask tham a question here
micricco
Smoker

help stator testing

Post by micricco »

can someone please help,can you test your stator as per manual please and let me know what you get.
reason i ask i have 3 stators,just bought the 3rd came off good runner,no reason to doubt.
heres the readings that i got,that need to double check cos it dont make sense!!
stator 1: exciter coil white/red 14.2 black/red 144.2 stator yellow/yellow 37 and 23.7

stator 2 exciter white/red 9.2 black/red 144.9 stator yellow 6.2 and 6

stator 3 exciter white/red 37.9 black/red 192.5 stator yellow 15 and 15

if i have read it right exciter white/red should read 2-7 ohms black/red should read 100-200 ohms and the stator yellow should read 0.3-1 ohms

please help and let me know what you get when you test yours cheers mick thanks
micricco
Smoker

stator

Post by micricco »

nobody??????? :shock:
Bikemike
Premix Junkie

Post by Bikemike »

Give people a chance :shock:
It's not a five minute job and you only posted this morning, most people will have been at work.
I would help but mine is buried at the back of the garage. Again.
I'm sure someone will be along with the answer soon.

Edited due to damn autospell on phone changing wot I rote!
Need Break down cover? P.m. me.
micricco
Smoker

stator

Post by micricco »

anyone had a chance to test at all please,just need a comparison with someone elses before i change my stator over any help much appreciated cheers mick
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

Ask Janbros if he can help.
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

Mick the reading between any 2 yellow leads should be 0.3 to 1.0 ohm - so
this means you need to take 3 readings

Readings outside this range means a faulty stator

Hope this helps

Garry
Smokings Good For You
micricco
Smoker

stator

Post by micricco »

thats what i thought tested all the yellows and are outside the readings,just wanted to see what other people got reading wise.i got a stator of good running bike but even thats out of range
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

i'll test mine tomorrow im out in the shed but if you haven't heard by midday then mail me ive forgot cheers and patience is a virtue we are all here to help just not at the click of your fingers no offence cheers wayne.
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
micricco
Smoker

stator

Post by micricco »

thanks that would be much appreciated,i dont mean to be pushy am just frustrated because i tested as per manual yet it doesnt add up,according to the figures all 3 are u/s including the one i just but that came off a good running bike from a respectable forum member.am interested to see if anyone elses doesnt read right as per specs.i know its not a long job as i tested the one currently fitted to bike cheers
tescr500
Oil Injector

Post by tescr500 »

no worries i know i tested everything on my bike once, yeah i'll test it just have to read up on the forum to refresh the green antimatter cheers wayne.
No Matter How Messy Things Get You Can Always Clean Them Up.
MY MAMMA TOLD ME, IF YOU AIN'T GOT ANY PROBLEMS DON'T MAKE ONE.
TIME IS PRECIOUS WASTE IT WISELY
micricco
Smoker

stator

Post by micricco »

thanks wayne
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

I'll test one tomorow.

But I know from experience :

* that measuring resistance alone is not enough, everything can be in the right ball-park and still the stator can be bad (vibrations/heat/... from the engine)

* resistance from the 3 spools for the ignition isn't that important. originaly there are 3 wires, I rebuild once one with 2 wires, couldn't get enough wire on it to have enough resistance, but still it worked perfect.

In my mind, only way to be sure about the stator, is replacing it with a known good one, and placing the faulty one on another engine/bike to double check.
My ultimate goal is to die young as late as possible !
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

sorry for the delay :oops:

I've measured 4 :

nr 4 is the one I rewired. it's imposible to get as much wire on it as original. I used 2 wires in stead off 3 original (there are 3 wires wired parallel on the 3 windings for the ignition,) (but with the 2 wires about the same rescistance as the 3 original over a comparable length), but it still worked fine.
Last edited by JanBros on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
micricco
Smoker

stator

Post by micricco »

thanks janbros,that helps very much appreciated,confirms that all 3 are outside spec cheers mick
JanBros
Avgas Sniffer

Post by JanBros »

just now I looked at your fugures.

what's very odd is that your yellow's are so high. it's very unusual that they fail, and even more odd that you should have 3 of them.

normaly if stator's fail, the problem is with the red/black/white. On the one I rewired, it was the black/red combination.

looking at your numbers, I'm not so sure they are all bust. your nr 3 probably is. the yellow's are not needed to run the engine if you have a good battery. I'd try both of them with the yellow wires disconnected and see if you have a good spark. If so, refit the yellow's, but have a good look at what voltage is being sent to the battery.

btw : I found out I had mixed up some numbers, so did it again with better equipment. new file is in my previous post.