Billys KR-1

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Billys KR-1

Post by the kid »

My KR had its first run yesterday :D
Have bought it to use as a track day toy and in its short time in my ownership (bought 23-01-07) has provided a great deal of fun tinkering and researching . You guys are providing a heap of information , thanks .
She has had a few knocks along the way and the engine was a bit unknown . Needed new disc and fork seals before a day at the track could be considered .
Most dealers here don't have much for KRs and seem to treat them as a bit of trouble , so it was a pleasant suprise to find fork seals of the shelf at my local kawa dealer .
Replacing the seals was easy , once we made up out version of a kawasaki special tool :lol:
Disc are bloody expensive but got onto a bloke who re-rivets new rotors onto the original carriers .
The ride day went really well and the KR behaved bloody brilliantly . This was my first time on the track too .
The engine revs out fine to 11 grand and seems to get along pretty quick . Have removed the speedo so no idea what she is doing .
The brakes seem to pull her in well enough but lack feel and do not inspire confidence . Any thoughts ?
Next in line is to get a new set of boots , GPR 70's and some firmer fork springs . A set of "s" pipes are available so will try to get them sent from South Aus ASAP . That should stuff the budget for a while .
Oh the new graphics are contact book covering and stick on pin stripe tape , cheap and cheerfull :lol:
Cheers Billy

Bugger , wrote this expecting to post some photos , sorry will have to work on that . :evil:
frog32
Premix Junkie

Post by frog32 »

hi billy

open up a photobucket acc
http://photobucket.com/

up load the pics from your computer to p/bucket

then copy the [img] from there a paste onto here :wink:

cheers lee
2 strokes our way of life :-)
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Ok trying photo's . As purchased

2 days later
2 and a half weeks later
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Thanks for the tip Lee :D
Garry
Premix Junkie

Post by Garry »

nice job 8)

are the exhausts chromed?
Smokings Good For You
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

Nah , the previous owner must have just stripped the paint off , but was pretty slack as he only stripped it back to the fairing line , so what you cant see is still black . Don't think was into high maintenance :cry:
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

looks nice. get yourself some 1s pipes for a bit more power (straight swap)
alimorg
Site Admin

Re: Billys KR-1

Post by alimorg »

the kid wrote: The brakes seem to pull her in well enough but lack feel and do not inspire confidence . Any thoughts ?
Braided lines will sort them out a treat, you won't believe the difference
Cheers
Al
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. " - Douglas Adams
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Re: Billys KR-1

Post by the-elf »

alimorg wrote:
the kid wrote: The brakes seem to pull her in well enough but lack feel and do not inspire confidence . Any thoughts ?
Braided lines will sort them out a treat, you won't believe the difference
Cheers
Al
Also get some decent brake fluid in there. Over ere the best (and cheapest) is Halfords own brand 5 dot one. I'm sure you must be able to find something simular over there. The brakes on a Kr1S are awesome so if you can get some 1s fork bottoms then the calipers will be easy to find and the difference will be unreal. Big K even used the Kr1s calipers on the early zx9r, that's how good they are as standard. Believe me I can get though 2 front tyres for every rear cause they get destroyed by the excellent brakes. :D
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

Hi,

whats it like peeping through the green screen?

I have an orange one and its a bit annoying actually, seems a few colours
all become the same shade through it.
.. Image ..
the kid
Heavy Smoker

Post by the kid »

KwakOn wrote:Hi,

whats it like peeping through the green screen?
It is a bit wierd but since it is cracked I will replace it ASAP . Im only using my KR for track days so being tucked in down a straight with the world going green isn't a problem but I think it might be a bit disconcerting on the road .
Actually nice to see things a bit green around here , quite the drought we have going ATM , everything very brown :lol: