what crancase sealnt to go for

Show us that box of bits in your shed!
fred
Oil Injector

what crancase sealnt to go for

Post by fred »

in next 2 weeks ile need t get some ,i have read up about it ,is this stuff the same ,or am i looking at the wrong product
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360267984483? ... 1423.l2649
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

you want threebond 1184
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

I use Three Bond (black Stuff can't remember the number) on the head gasket at least in a ring around either side of the edge of the gasket next to the piston hole. It helps seal the head and fills the gap left by the gasket between the barrel and head thus helping avoid detonation in this area.

For crankcases I prefer Yamaha Bond.
Luders
Avgas Sniffer

Post by Luders »

That stuff looks good for your crankcases Fred.
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

cool ,ive found some three bond , i use this on the cylinder head and base gasket works realy well http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/He ... pound.html
90sbiker
Smoker

Post by 90sbiker »

I'm about to rebuild an RGV Engine, do you guys use these liquid gaskets as well as the standard ones for extra sealing or instead of? Cheers
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

90sbiker wrote:I'm about to rebuild an RGV Engine, do you guys use these liquid gaskets as well as the standard ones for extra sealing or instead of? Cheers
i always use the gaskets ,dry on clutch ect , sealer on base n head ,
90sbiker
Smoker

Post by 90sbiker »

Thanks, never knew there were so many different types of sealer :shock: best be safe than sorry though, last thing you want after a rebuild is a leak somewhere difficult to get to.. :)
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Threebond do a silver sealent(1207B) thats ideal for crankcase halves or any machined/non gasket surface.
Cant see why you would need it on the base or head gaskets if your using genuine,never had any reason to myself,just gonna make it a pain when you come to strip it again.i just use a smear of grease on the base for ease of disassembly.
fred
Oil Injector

Post by fred »

ime looking at this but the numbers arn`t the same http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390382585304? ... 1423.l2649
the heldite on the cylinder head worked for me and was easy to dissasemble
mj43
Premix Junkie

Post by mj43 »

dave32 wrote:Threebond do a silver sealent(1207B) thats ideal for crankcase halves or any machined/non gasket surface.
Cant see why you would need it on the base or head gaskets if your using genuine,never had any reason to myself,just gonna make it a pain when you come to strip it again.i just use a smear of grease on the base for ease of disassembly.
Dave

As mentioned I use it on the head gasket to stop detonation. Since I have been using it never had a head let go.

On the base gasket following advice from Colin Sleigh I punch the cases to stop the base gaskets blowing out. At full chat (on a tuned engine) the barrels can lift and the gasket blow out.
scooble
Premix Junkie

Post by scooble »

what do you mean by 'punch' the cases?
dave32
Heavy Smoker

Post by dave32 »

Yep i can see what you mean,stock the gaskets too big ,promoting det,but how do you get a uniform seal around the bore without it overflowing?if you get what i mean.
Thats interesting about the base blowing out,ive had it happen once on a highly tuned kr after a run down the M4 to chelsea bridge years ago, :D
It was sticking out the front,couldnt work out why but in hindsight it could be as you mention.
Is there an design fault then in this area then do you think?must admit never had it happen again (track or road/tuned or stock).
Cheers
90sbiker
Smoker

Post by 90sbiker »

dave32 wrote: Thats interesting about the base blowing out,ive had it happen once on a highly tuned kr after a run down the M4 to chelsea bridge years ago, :D
Slightly off topic, but I used topic but I used to go to Chelsea Bridge every Friday around 90/91 it used to be mad, there were some real headcases there lol..
Rocket
Heavy Smoker

Post by Rocket »

dot punch and put lots of little crators along the crank case gasket surface.
here 1 MJ did eirlier.