Another Newbie.....

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

Ali.. Thats a nice looking KR, one day, mine may look as good.... :lol:
KR1 Man, dont you just hate people with far to many toys!!! will be calling on peoples vast know now how on these bike's, the questions are mounting, as is the urge to get back out in the garage and continue with this project..... :wink:
This week I've mainly been in the garage!!!!
KR1 Man
Oil Injector

Post by KR1 Man »

KR1 Man calling. Toys!!! I've got to be careful here, as some members have collections and I'm hoping to be able to view one soon. What really pixxxs me off is when a Dealer or Someone Else Who Is ACTUALLY IN The Bike Trade, poses as a Private Seller "I've got too many bikes and this one's got to go" I answered a 'small ad' for a 350lc once, and ended up in a housing estate garage with a local dealer who did'nt recognise me as being the guy who rode the TZR v.twin which he once owned himself. The other occasion I fell for it was when a m8 told me of a guy who had two 3ma's, who was moving house and needed to sell one in order to raise some cash. One phone call confirmed this story, and off I went to look at a 'Reverse cylinder' . The address turned out to be a lock up, housing a spectacular private collection. The bike was a 'bitsa' made out of bits from several bikes, and the 'private seller' was another well known 'local person in the bike trade! Finally, 'toys' need playing with, I firmly believe that those fortunate enough to have them should bring them all to life at least once every weekend and if anybody wants some assistance with this, then please pm me................. regards, KR1 Man.
RD350 LC YPVS. Also grandson Declan's KR1 with ZXR black/purple paintjob/ KR1-s upgrades and max polishing
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

Been out in the garage again, thought I'd pop out there for 5 minutes, as you do, some time later, re-appeard, with black as coal hands, and some rather shiney frame rails......
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191 ... b003-1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191 ... 50b002.jpg

Just waiting on some news about the front disc's, once that is sorted, will bolt the bike back together, and see what the MOT brings.... :shock:
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

It's not been a good day. got stuck in to the bike, finally got some paddock stands, started on the disc's, and thought I'd have a look at the cailipers as well, got one side sorted and moving nice and smooth, started on the other side, and thought I'd have a look at the how the engine comes out, just as a thought, thats when I spotted a Crack, right down the weld on the bottom engine mount, as that is all in with the frame, thats what needs replacing, or welding..
Last edited by nickb. on Wed May 09, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Thats a common place for them to crack. Don't worry about it. I raced for nearly a whole season with a crack like that in the frame and I had no problems. I only replaced the frame cause the subframe was badly bent, the crack never grew a mm.

Just mark up the ends of the crack and keep an eye on it to see if it s growing or better still get a 2-3mm dia drill and drill the ends of the crack. Only drill through the weld, if you catch the ends right, the crack can't grow anymore as you'll have relieved the high stresses at the tip of the crack.

The reason that the weld cracks at that point is due to poor manufacturing tolerence's with the engine mount being quite a bit smaller than the frame, hence when its torqued up the frame is stressed resulting in the cracking. Best thing to do is to measure the mounts and the engine and get a shim made to fill the gap and remove the stressess then just either keep an eye on it and/or drill the ends of the crack.

Enjoy the summer and either get it welded up or keep an eye on evil bay and here for a cheap frame as and when you can afford it. But keep regually checking for signs of defect growth in the mean time.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
Paddockstand Ltd: Tyre and Bike spares http://www.paddockstand.co.uk
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

thanks for the tip.. will do. :lol:
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

No problem. :D Just make sure you keep checking to see if its growing. If you shim it then that should sort the problem. Once your ready, dress the crack out of the weld and get it rewelded when you have the cash. Finding someone who can weld Alloy is the hardest part as it requires a special MMA set. Shouldn't cost more than about £30 in total though to get it repaired.

Tipically You'll need a shim about 0.5mm thick but it'll vary for each frame/engine combination, some don't need anything depending on the actually sizes. Once measured up get a thin washer and get it surface ground at a local engineering shop to the right thickness. Don't forget to shim up the top as well.
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
KwakOn
Oil Injector

Post by KwakOn »

yeah, I agree dont worry too much about crack. certainly dont let it stop you using the bike. I found the same crack on both my frames and was going to get it welded - my mate is a pro welder and was certain it was safe, surface crack basically. I have been using mine since and hope to get it welded next winters strip and rebuild.

Elf is right though keep an eye on it at least.
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

Thanks guy's, got a bit more done today, replaced bars, sorted disc's, and serviced the calipers, just a couple of other small things to do, like new pads, and find some caliper slider dust covers/boots, bolt it all together and take it for it's ticket. not to much longer, I hope......
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

How things change... gone from ducking for cover, to looking the devil in the eye and winking at him in knowage he wont be taking a chunk out of my arse this week!!!
Things are on the up, the last few bits and bobs have been found, thanks to you guys on here. I owe you one..!
looking forward to packages of wonder arriving at the door, and hours of endless fun in the garage puting it all together. :wink:
not sure about the paintwork yet, cross that bridge later..... :?
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

been a bit slack in the garage at the moment, work getting in the way, loads of things to do, frame sorted, thanks Jamie!!!, so when I can get in and stay in the garage I'll be swaping things over, fingers crossed theres no more nasties awaiting me........ :roll: :roll: :roll:
the-elf
Avgas Sniffer

Post by the-elf »

Nice to hear that she's slowly coming back to life. Have you got a new frame for her? [/quote]
-- Lets go Racing
Sponsored by:
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

All change.... been trying to sort out the front end, when along came the right idea.... put my good 250 motor into a good rolling chassis :idea: , and that has happened, thanks to Dangerous Dan (and a 8 Hour drive, but was worth it, cheers Dan.), I now have a KR1-S rolling Chassis, and will be fitting my motor into that very soon, finger crossed I might be able to sneak into the garage this week....... :shock: :shock: :shock:
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

Yes....managed to get in the garage for a couple of hours, motor removed and ready for swaping, KR1s frame fitted with jack up plates for foot pegs, just need a few more hours tinkering....... :lol:
Slow but sure progress, just hope I dont run into too many problems, but fingers crossed. :roll:

Banged in some more time, got a fair bit done, still looks like a chop shop, but I know whats going on... I think!!! :lol:
nickb.
Smoker

Post by nickb. »

Engines in, starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel....!!! wiring pluged back in, just got the CDI unit wiring to sort out, been a long day, so before falling asleep with soldering iron in hand :oops: called it a day...
cant wait to get back out there!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: