My KR250

The place to put pictures of your pride and joy - you can also post pics of your KR if you want!
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

My KR250

Post by ScottaKR »

I know it's not a KR1 [-X , but I thought I'd post up a pic of my Tandem Twin anyway. :lol:

It's not quite ready yet (the barrels are currently off getting ported), but otherwise it's pretty much done.

This is the custom gear linkage I made up after realising that the standard lever arm was badly bent.

Last edited by ScottaKR on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirk
Heavy Smoker

Post by dirk »

Nice Bike!
KR-1S 1990
RG500 1987
RGV 250 1992
TZR250 (2MA) 1987
Cliff
Premix Junkie

Post by Cliff »

I like it. I still haven't seen one :cry: .
col
Premix Junkie

Post by col »

Cliff wrote:I like it. I still haven't seen one :cry: .
wait till you do cliff, the engine layout suspension set-up is great to see.
a very cool and ingenius bike. they draw crowds where ever you park em
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Great bike! Would love to see one myself.....

Charles
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

Very nice Scott. :D Looks cool in white. 8) I like what you've done with the fairing and mirrors too. =D>
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Glade you guys like it. :D

Since that pic was taken, I've had another set of forks completely rebuilt and fitted (still in factory paint), and will be picking up a full set of rebuilt brake calipers with new pads and a few other bits that'll probably go onto this bike as well (there's nothing actually wrong with the ones on it now, just that there black).
Just waiting on the barrels to be finished though :(
Also thinking about taking off the stock airbox putting and fitting a pair of pod filters, which I think should look pretty cool 8)

The only problem is, even once I've finally finished it, I still have to build the second bike (which may yet get sold once finished), but that will most likely be done as a factory stock bike.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Well, after fitting the freshly ported barrels last weekend, I thought it was almost time to kick over the new motor (notice I said "thought"). But when I went to open the air bleeder in the top of the head while adding the coolant, the damn bolt head snaped off and put an end to my plans. :(
So, it was off with the head, to send it (after breaking 2 easy outs) to get fixed by my engineer, along with my spare head which I wanted to have skimmed.

So, this morning I re-assemble the motor (feeling realy good about not breaking any more bolts), and fill it with coolant and oil. I kick it over a few times before the front cylinder comes to life, belching an awful lot of smoke (and seems to have a leak), then after a little throttle the rear kicks in as well. But the engine fells VERY flat, and the front cyl is still belching smoke like mad, and I can no longer see the back of the shed! :shock:
I shut it down. :evil:
Confused about the flat performance and excessive smoke, I decide to pull off the front pipe and have a look at where I thought there was a crack. To my surprise, when I tilt the pipe takeing it off, oil pours out the end! :shock: I tip the rest into a container as I realise that it's about half of my gearbox oil. "How the F@*# did that get there?" I wonder.
After a bit off headscratching, I realise it's the large intake seals between the case and the rotary valves. #-o :oops:
So, off with the right side of the case, change the seals etc, and carefully re-assemble it again. :roll:
Frustrated by the ordeal of the day, but with the bike finally back together at 4pm, I decide to give it a quick kick, [-o< not expecting anything much by this stage.
I couldn't believe it when the damn thing started straight up, and just sat there idleing away without missing a beat!! :shock:
So I give it a bit of throttle, and tacho swings to the right nice and quick, then returns to a nice stable idle. :mrgreen:
SUCCESS!!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Now all that's left is a quick bleed of the brakes, and it goes in the get it's raodworthy cert this week. 8)
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

Gratulations! =D>

So, when will be able to view a video of its first run on youtube?
Never heard or seen a KR250 before :oops:

Charles
mr_bungholeo
Premix Junkie

Post by mr_bungholeo »

nice one...its good when you find the problem.....saw gary's minta at the gibsons dyno day.....very VERY mint.......and comfy to sit on too...better than the kr..... :D
bring a ding ding i'm a throttle happy chappy...:)

you cant beat a bit of blue haze...
danny harris.....R.I.P
gone but totally forgotten...:)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Well, I had it booked in for a RWC this morning, and after going over the bike one last time I thought I'd take it for a quick squirt up the road to make sure it was all happy.... and it wasn't. :( I got maybe 100m up the road before the engine just cut out completely and refused to start back up. :evil:
Coasted back down the hill and into the garage (glad I hadn't gone down the hill first). After a bit of fiddling with this and that the bike fired up, so I tried again.....with the same result. ](*,) By this stage I was pretty sure it was a CDI, so I decided to change both of them with some spares I had lying around, which did the trick nicely.
The bike now ran beutifully, and once it got into the powerband, it absolutely flew. :D I didn't dare open it right up, as the road was still damp in patches after some rain earlier.
Unfortunately, by this stage it was too late to take it down to the bike shop for it's RWC, but that didn't bother me too much, as you couldn't wipe the smile of my face after takeing it out for a quick blat. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS. Charles, my mates borrowing a digital video camera in a couple of weeks, so may be able to take some footage of it then and will put it up on youtube for you.
KR250 Tandem Twin (Naked) :mrgreen:
KR1 Red/White
KR1S Track Bike (has been put on hold for now)
ZXR750 H1 (Winter project)
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

Well I finally got it registered this morning, so of course that means I spent most of the day riding around just for the hell of it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Need to get hold of some different jets though. I think it's a bit rich in the bottom end, as it tends to sputter quite a bit until it reaches 5000rpm, but after 6000rpm it just takes off like a rocket.
Think I'll have to put a smaller cog on the rear, as it's sitting @ 6400 doin 100kph.
Lots of fine tunning to do, but at least it's on the road now. \:D/ \:D/
KR1 Red/White
Charles
Premix Junkie

Post by Charles »

congratulations and have fun! :D :D
StrokerBoy
Premix Junkie

Post by StrokerBoy »

ScottaKR wrote:I spent most of the day riding around just for the hell of it.
Pics please ! :wink:
Kawasaki KR250 Tandem Twin (x4) & KS-II 80,
Yamaha RD350LC,
Suzuki GSX-R750RK & RB50 Gag.
ScottaKR
Premix Junkie

Post by ScottaKR »

StrokerBoy wrote:
ScottaKR wrote:I spent most of the day riding around just for the hell of it.
Pics please ! :wink:
Will take some pics this weekend when it's not so wet (may even take some video with the phone camera).
Second day on the thing, and I had to ride home from work in the rain :roll: but still, I made it home in 1 piece.
KR1 Red/White